Which grahics card

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Which grahics card

carpman(Posted 2004) [#1]
Didn't know where to put this post,I suppose a graphics card is a form of tool.
So I,m about to order a new computer but can't make up my mind about the graphics card. At the moment I have an nVIDIA based card but I'm getting fed up with driver problems so I'm leaning towards Radeon, but which one?
My main programs are Blitz of course, GILE(S), TATTOO, ULTIMATE UNWRAP, 3DCanvas and Paint Shop Pro. Will I manage ok with say the 128mb 9800 pro or should I go mad and choose the 9800xt with 256mb! or maybe the ALL-IN_WONDER 9800 Pro?
Any ideas?
Thanks Carpman

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#2]
Will I manage ok with say the 128mb 9800 pro

Hell, yes! Nicely... even 9600 XT would be enough for "high-end middle-class" gaming! :)

256mb won't do you any good unless you use insane resolutions in games with triple buffers and 8*AA.

carpman(Posted 2004) [#3]
Mustang,
Thanks, you could have saved me some cash here I was going to go for the 256mb card to be safe.
I visited your web site recently and liked all the artwork, especially the OLD PAPER image, any chance of a short tutorial on how you achieved this?
>Carpman

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#4]
any chance of a short tutorial on how you achieved this?

Maybe, maybe not... depends if I can still find the .PSD first of all. It was just basically a half decent scan of old paper, and MANY layers in photoshop. Each layer contributed something to the end result, like darkening the edges etc.

Usually you can turn even bad image to something nice looking with just lot's of tweaking and time. And you need right tools too, of course.

PowerPC603(Posted 2004) [#5]
I recently bought the Radeon Hercules 3D Prophet 9600Pro with 256Mb and it works perfectly with Blitz.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#6]
I have a low end ati excalibur with radeon 9200se and 128 mb. it was only about 65$. Of course it's a lot slower than the real cards. but it supports dx9 shaders and is fairly fast in higher resolutions. A good card to simulate low end systems. One goodie: no fan, absolutely silent. Like all radeons it has a smeary mipmapping on flat angles.

Oh yes, currently blitz has problems with terrain on radeon, see bug reports.

Daz(Posted 2004) [#7]
Like a few others who have previously posted, I have a Radeon 9600Pro (128megs) and I am more than happy with it. I am able to play all my first person shooter (Call of Duty, Medal of Honour etc) in 1280 x 1024 without any slowly down. It handles Deus Ex 2 with no problems when a lot of my friends with other type of graphics cards seems to have a few problems.

I haven't fully tested it with Blitz, but what I have tested works fine.

carpman(Posted 2004) [#8]
Thanks for the feedback,I,m going to go with the 9800 Pro and hope it will give many years enjoyment. I,ve ordered the system today:-Athlon 3200xp,1024mgb ddr 400 memory,Radeon 9800pro,DVD Writer etc. Trouble is I'm looking at a two week waiting list. Grrrr!
Thanks again Carpman