Texture CD... seems OK, only $47

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Texture CD... seems OK, only $47

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#1]
Doors, roofs, ground, signs... the usual stuff. But they are tileable and have matching bumps (hopefully better than what Marlin has :)).

http://www.carlsart.com/products.htm

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#2]
WOWZERS, awesome stuff. Will put a money order for it in the mail today. Thanks for sharing that link!

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#3]
What I saw looked pretty low-quality. The textures don't even fit together, they just look like someone took a walk through some European town and took a lot of snapshots. If you had a wall, a door, a piece of trim, a wall with a window, and a roof from the same building, and they tiled, you would be able to make something with it, but a random wall with a door on it won't help you at all. My guess is the "matching bump maps" were just produced by running the image through NVidia's bump map generator, which might not be bad, but having them isn't really a "feature".

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#4]
It's the basic trouble with all "Texture CDs" and there is very little that can be done to fix that issue.

Even so called "themed" texture collections (which are almost non-existant) fail miserably because the look is too pre-determined. You're lucky if the design matches your visions of the game or you have adapt your vision to suit the textures. And if you need something that isn't in the collection you're stuck... this assuming that you bought the collection because you can't do textures yourself.

The only GOOD and working way is to make all your textures (or hire someone capable of doing those). And it's the same with models... it all comes down to keeping coherent look in the game, you just can't go and buy loads of texture and model CDs and expect to get a nice looking mix out of them.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#5]
making textures is easier than making models imho. the textures on that cd look useful. I needed 2 to 3 days to make something similar. So the price is ok, Although I'd buy a CD with more than 270 textures because that collection is pretty limited, specially the building part. the signs are cool.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#6]
I think it is possible to make good themed textures...I am working on some that I am pretty happy with, and will release them for CShop users. It just seems that all the people selling texture CD's don't know what they're doing, or don't understand how game textures work. You can find much better stuff at the wadfather, and most of that is made by 14-year-olds.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#7]
don't understand how game textures work.

True - most are geared towards "general purpose" rendering... like so that the image deimensions are really random, not square or anything. Some additional work is usually needed... now when there is so much good & cheap 3D-languages I'd assume that there would be bigger market for commercial game textures. But the problem of theme would still remain...

You can find much better stuff at the wadfather, and most of that is made by 14-year-olds.

Ummm... maybe - if you like DoomedQuake texture style that is. I don't, and my game has very little use for cool BloodySkullWall textures made by 14-year-olds. :)

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#8]
Think they look not bad :)

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#9]
They don't have to be square. could be 32 x64 128x32 etc.
Those textures look not half bad in my opinion

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#10]
They don't have to be square. could be 32 x64 128x32 etc.

True, but for maximum compatability 1:1 (power of 2) textures are still the best. Personally I do use a lot of rectangular textures too, just try to avoid using anything less than 8*8 and exceeding 8:1 width / height ratio (or 1:8 :)).

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#11]
I do use square textures most of the time too. but there is no harm in slipping in a few other types.
Depends what you need it for really.
Sometimes there are just good reasons why you need to have a texture none square, for example you could have a repeat pattern for a railing