SketchUp - the ultimate tool for creating architectural structures for levels.

Community Forums/Developer Stations/SketchUp - the ultimate tool for creating architectural structures for levels.

ahobbit(Posted 2003) [#1]
I ran across a program called SketchUp SketchUp - and by the looks of it, this could be the ultimate tool for quickly creating models for level geometry.

This program appears to be designed primarily for the creation of architectural structures, although it can be used to make others things as well (e.g. weapons, vehicles, etc.). Models can be textured and real-time shadowing can be enabled to help visualize the look of a model.

The software exports to 3ds, dxf, dwg, or vrml formats.

The website for SketchUp contain tons of downloadable videos demonstrating its features and familiarizing the user with its operation, as well as a demo version of the software.

This software is relatively simple to use, containing only a few buttons; but its interface is very well thought out and is very efficient at what it does.

At $475, this software isn't exactly cheap, but it is very powerful and seems to justify its price. If you want to save a lot of time creating your game levels, this tool is definitely worth a look.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#2]
An architech friend of mine said he didn't like it too much. Something about it didn't allow you to do very simple things and instead concentrated on looking fancy and 'simple'.

Dirk Krause(Posted 2003) [#3]
looks very cool.

Dirk

ahobbit(Posted 2003) [#4]
@Ross C

I would highly recommend you view some of the videos showing SketchUp in action. It seems like it definitely allows you to do both very simple things and very complex things rather easily. Perhaps your architect friend was looking at an earlier version of the software.

Level designers at other web sites have said they liked the program.

granada(Posted 2003) [#5]
played with this some time ago
as ross c said

(I would highly recommend you view some of the videos showing SketchUp in action)

Its realy fast and fun

dave

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#6]
Looks good but it is primarily designed to make architects 2d sketches from 3d models. Could be that the geometry is not really optimised for real-time 3d and there is no occlusion system.
Its also not that much easier than any other level creator - in fact it can get quite complicated - just check out one of the demos about making roofs - had me totally bamboozled ( there again that's quite easy).

Certainly worth a look though but maybe a bit overpriced.
Given the choice I would much prefer to use Quill3d or CShop.

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#7]
My dad is an architect and he uses ArchiCAD for his work. I showed him some videos of SketchUp and he said that it seems you can get very good results easily and without any knowledge of architecture. My intention was in fact to convince him to buy it, but he has decided to continue working with ArchiCAD :S

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#8]
The only reason I haven't purchased is because of the price. I've spent too much on this hobby already.

Dirk Krause(Posted 2003) [#9]
@dangerdave: I know that feeling.
@jedive: as far as I understood the product pages it's not intended to be a surrogate fur ArchiCAD and the likes. It's rather something to help visualize archtectural contexts for the customer. So you better convince the sales guy in your dad's company (might be himself :-).

Regards,
Dirk