Skitchy, You Still Answerin LightBulb Questions?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Skitchy, You Still Answerin LightBulb Questions?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#1]
You told me how to fix this before, but i forgot...

... how do i get LB to smooth out the faceted lines in rendering?

Thx

--Mike

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
Try playing with Blur. Because of smoothing difficulties in Lightbulb I am strongly considering switching to gile[s]

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#3]
yeah... same here.

i may be forced to if i can't clear this up.

shame too... i really liked the output from LB.

Thanks JH

--Mike

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#4]
Lumelsize and blur are your best friends. Also, you could add a few more sides to the pillars - an extra couple of polys here and there shouldn't hurt. Using said methods creatively, you can get rid of the 'facets' :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#5]
Thx Skitch...

Lowering lumel size and incresing blur now...

--Mike

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#6]
VERY nice atmospheric-looking work there as well Red :) Glad to see LightBulb is still going strong.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#7]
still no luck...

any suggestion skitch, jh, as far as lumel and blur settings...

--Mike

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#8]
Everybodys geometry is different so there are no rules set in stone. One thing I will say though - remember that 99.9999% of your audience are NOT programmers, and really wont care if they see an odd line here and there. Maybe on characters, but not on levels ;)
Don't get me wrong - I like perfection too (I think it's one of the qualifications you need to program :) ), but there comes a point where you can start spending too much time on issues that don't matter.
If you can't get around it using LB settings (it CAN usually be done and once you find the right balance you'll be able to use it on everything) then just stick a few more polygons in the pillars. When you think about it, you can turn an 8 sided cylinder into a 16 sided cylinder using a mere 16 polys (provided you dont cap it).
The cylinder and the back of that shot looks pretty smooth anyway :)