3Impact

Community Forums/Developer Stations/3Impact

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#1]
I bet I'm not the only one to pick up on this today.
Especially all you 3D rad folks. For everyone else
this is a really cool 3D programming kit. You have to code
in C++ but it's all simple function calls which are probably easier than Blitz. It has realtime shadows and a built in complete physics system. It's cool. Heck, just go check it out yourself...

http://www.3impact.com

Doggie

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#2]
it's okay but lacks alot too, id choose 3dgs over this.

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#3]
Looks great, everything seems to work without a hitch.

I'm a bit confused that you have to choose which OS version to download...does this mean you have to supply several .exe's when you make a game?

For collisions it uses a multiple sphere mesh which approximates your models shape but this has to be hand made by yourself as far as I can see.

3DGS looks more impressive but what a price tag O.o and you only get 1 physics object collision unless you buy the top end package =/

Oh well, back to coding in Blitz =)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#4]
Some of it sounds good, indeed. But the section on conversion to dynamic meshes (IMPORT YOUR OWN 3D MODELS!
QUICK START TUTORIAL ) used to sound way too complicated to me. As I understood it I first have to make 3 Versions of my model to be able to use it. And there are lots of restrictions about "alien data" inside the meshes.
It is an engine, not a programming language. So I am afraid it isn't very flexible. Sounds all a bit like "Hey, I made an engine for myself and now I sell it as well".

There are four example games. Not a big lot. I'd like to see it in action with a shadow overkill scene to see its true capacity.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#5]
Sounds all a bit like "Hey, I made an engine for myself and now I sell it as well".

My feelings precisely. And I doubt 3dRad users will be very pleased at the emails they've received, which seem to suggest that - if this does well - 3dRad will be ditched. I reckon I'd be pretty angry if I'd just bought 3dRad and now I found out that there's a fair chance that there won't ever be a 3dRad 6. If the engine is that good, they should have integrated it into 3dRad.

3dGamestudio is nice, but overpriced. If I was going to spend that much money, I would buy Quest3d, which is far more impressive.

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#6]
I just downloaded the demo version of Quest3D to have a look.

Unfortunately it made my Radeon lock up big time so I downloaded the latest drivers and now it locks up but manages to recover and send an error report =)

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#7]
In all fairness to 3DRad they said right upfront
(on the forum) that V6 of 3DRad will have the same functionality as 3Impact and that you ought to consider
whether or not to get 3Impact now.
For my $29.95(less than I pay for games that I play once)
it's worth messing with. I expect it'll get added to overtime also.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#8]
I just downloaded the demo version of Quest3D to have a look.

Unfortunately it made my Radeon lock up big time so I downloaded the latest drivers and now it locks up but manages to recover and send an error report =)

Really? I have it downloaded here, same videocard as you and it runs great. What drivers are you using now? I think i've got the 3.7's going for SW: KOTOR and Prince of Persia which both seem to like them best.

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#9]
Now using 3.9 catalyst drivers, it's causing the VPU to go into recovery because the hardware is no longer talking to the driver, so it says.

Never had this before, maybe it's because VPU recovery is enabled by default, I think it has always been disabled by default before.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#10]
I'm not sure where the VPU recovery setting is, so I can't check it. I haven't heard of any problems with the 3.9's but both of the games I'm playing at the moment said they only officially support the 3.7's so I stuck with them. If you tell me where I can look for that VPU recovery setting, I'll take a look and see where it is by default ( I know I haven't changed it. )

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#11]
Right click desktop/properties/settings/advanced/VPU recover

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#12]
On the 3DGS front...

Some of it is cool, but some of it is a little less forgiving. You also have to work a lot harder to get much out of it.

IPete2.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#13]
Right click desktop/properties/settings/advanced/VPU recover

It's actually a "Tab" on the control panel? I don't have that tab at all, and I can't see it any of the other tabs either. Must be something new they introduced since 3.7. Maybe that's why Quest3d doesn't like it.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#14]
This just enforces my opinion that physics are the next biggest thing.

Without, it's hard to make any kind of 3D game of quality.