TrueSpace

Community Forums/Developer Stations/TrueSpace

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#1]
I'm not having much luck getting an answer at the Caligari forums so do any of you know what the secret is to get textures to save on TrueSpace(5.2) objects? And animations too, on that face animator thingie. It saves movement of the head object but no lip action.;)
3D paint don't save either. It must be some dumb thing I'm not doing.

Thanks

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#2]
what do you mean by get the textures to save?

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#3]
I save models that I textured but they display white when I re load them in any other program. None of the colors from the 3D paint tool show up either. THe prebuilts retain their textures but none of my stuff does and there's not one thing in the help files that mentions having to do anything special to save your model just the way it looks in the program.

Doggie

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#4]
The problem is that the majority of Truspace features are generated internally. This is also true of textures, most are procedural in some way.

The only ones that should work are Texture Mapped ones with simple alpha.

The truespace convertor does them at least, but it's far from perfect!

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#5]
If you have the texture baking feature (can't remember if it was in ts5), you could bake the procedural texture on.

RedRidingHood(Posted 2003) [#6]
I'm pretty sure that texture baking is only in version 6, it hasn't been terribly useful to me anyway... it only seems to work with VERY low poly models (like a cube or something).

What format are you trying to export in Doggie? Not all file formats export textures. You could try getting the luuv plugin and try exporting in .obj http://www.pinacoderm.com/tsx/luuv/

That's about all I can tell you, sorry. I haven't really messed around with trueSpace for a while so I can't really remember all the contortions you need to go through to get it to do what you want.

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#7]
Thanks. I already got luuv.

I think it's really ignorant that you can't just
save what you've done in the format provided and
get the results that the blurbs on the box say you will.
WHy bother having radiosity if you can't possibly use it?
Why 3D painting if you can't possibly use it?
Really ticks me off.
TrueSpace is nothing but a glorified model viewer.

Too bad too, cuz it's pretty much a decent model viewer.
If it only worked...

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#8]
is it possible the "pre-builts" to which you're referring are vertex-baked? and that this data is being retained when exported/imported?

Garion(Posted 2003) [#9]
I am a wee bit confoosed here as to what yoo are trying to do.

In Truespace as in all other 3D apps that I have used, the Exported models have always been limited by the export filter.

I have used TS for modeling and animation. The models being saved as .cobs and stuck into a 3d Explorer app for format changing to Obj, etc.

The animations are rendered to Disk from TS either as AVI or single frame TGS for compositing in After Effects etc.

Now I will have to check, but if yoo convert the .cob to Obj I think the textures are retained..but dont quote me on that.

The other method is to save the texturemap as a sepearate file and the merge the two again in destination app.

Is this anywhere close to what you are trying to do?

Garion
From Scotland

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#10]
All I want to do is make my model and texture and color
it then save it and be able to reload it just like
it was when I saved it. It's got to be possible since the
models that come as samples are textured or at least have color.

Doggie

Garion(Posted 2003) [#11]
The models that come with Truespace are saved in .Cob format which is Truespace's native tongue.

If the package you are trying to import the models into can handle .Cob format then the procedural textures and animation should still be there.

But... If you are exporting the models as another format then what is retained is dependant on THAT format.

Example .DXF saves no textures or animation information.

I do not know your level of knowledge in 3D modeling and I am no expert myself, so please do not be offended if I am repeating what you already know. 8)

When I create a model and export it I also export any texture maps into the same folder as the model, so that I can reload them into other apps.

The idea behind Truespace and most other 3D apps is to create pseudo 3D content, animate if nesessary and render it out as either a 2D still for a background or as an Animation for compositing into video or game anims as effects.

What app are you trying to get your models into?

Garion
from Scotland

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#12]
I want to use models in Blitz!
You know of a site with an active TrueSpace forum?
The one at Caligari is more or less a ghost town.
Hmmmmm....

Doggie

Garion(Posted 2003) [#13]
They probably dont have a clue about Blitz over there 8)

Blitz does not recognize .cob files, sigh. 8(

But... you can still go down the texture map route for the models.

Save them in a format that Blitz can read and load the model and texture together.

As for animation, sorry stumped there unless you use characterfx, in which case I am still stumped because I just bought it last week 8)

8(

Garion
from Scotland

MikeHart(Posted 2003) [#14]
Yip, the TS forums is more for people who use it as an art tool. Maybe at the gamespace forum you will have more luck.
Truespace handles exporting not differently than any other 3D app. It depends on the exporters and if there isn't any than you have no luck.
Like someone said, Procedural textures don't bring you far in another app like Blitz. Plus the DirectX export is some kind of weak in TS5.2. For you it would be the best to get TS6.6 and the conversion pack 2.1 or maybe Gamespace. Or write your own B3D-exporter.

Michael