Cinema 4d's uv mapping

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Cinema 4d's uv mapping

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hey, my modeller is using cinema 4d to paint the models he creates, but when he saves the model, the uv's are totally messed up. Anyone used it for uv mapping, and is it better than ultimate unwrap?

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#2]
not a Cinema 4D user, but is he saving to native format or exporting? exporting w/ uv's might be a problem depending on file format.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#3]
exporting to .3ds format. I thought this might be a problem, but surely there must be a way round this?

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#4]
is the target format .3ds?

is that just what you're trying to use as an intermediary to .b3d?

is that a format someone else is trying to load in their app to do more work?

is this a guessing game? :)

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#5]
hehe, sorry for the lack of information. He is exporting to .3ds but the end product will be in .b3d format. The uv co-ords don't export correctly even to .3ds and they don't work in blitz.

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#6]
how do you know that C4D is borking the map? have you tried importing into some apps that load .3ds - Max? Milkshape? free translators? assuming you have and it didn't work, did you try exporting out of C4D as an .obj and converting from there. lots of options...

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#7]
ried exporting it as many different formats. Only format it retains them in is cinema4d's native format.

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#8]
well then you've answered your own question. if the only format that retains UV maps is Cinema4D's native format, then you don't have a choice if you need another format.

btw, thought i'd poke around the net a bit. these links to plugins are probably old news to your friend, but just in case:

UV2BMP - http://www.r-j.de/c4d/beta.htm

UV2Object - http://www.welter-4d.de/plugins.html

good opportunity for me to practice a little German.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#9]
Cool thanks man. I think we're going the root of model in cinema4d and milkshape, then unwrap in UltimateUnwrap, and texture in Tattoo. But i certainly will show him them links just incase. Thanks again :)

Psionic(Posted 2003) [#10]
Export to OBJ (wavefront)...open in unwrap 3d, select all....flip Normals, unwrap and texture then export to 3ds/b3d from there...

if he opens up the 3ds back in C4D after that he must select all, reverse normals,align normals then reverse again..fiddly but it works

C4D has a prob with 3ds as the format only supports 1 UV per vert, so they tell me, but all other programs seem to get round it :)

Oops just noticed somebody mentioned OBJ already...

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#11]
Thanks csven, Exporting to .OBJ worked. The .3ds exporter was rubbish, kept on mucking up the UV's. Thanks to you both :)

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#12]
suspected something would. no app is an island anymore... or somepin like dat.