UV mapping and unwrapping

Community Forums/Developer Stations/UV mapping and unwrapping

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#1]
Moved to Blitz 3d forum

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#2]
What program are you using? In LithUnwrap 1.3 you can select any number of vertices and then apply an individual mapping to it, eg: apply spheremapping to the vertices of the head. Or cylindical mapping to the legs. I you have mapped the parts in a useful way you can start collapse mirrorable parts, like selecting the right side of the head, flip it horizonticly and then lay it over the left side. The same goes for the legs, arms... Now you have saved a lot of space and you can zoom up and move around parts like the face or the hands to allow higher detailed textures. Use 512*512 to get a bearable level of detail.

Maybe use some advanced tools like tatoo?

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#3]
hey, thanks for the response, i moved cause i didn't think alot of ppl come to this forum. I'm using Ultimate unwrap. The head is my main concern, as there never seems to be enough detail on it. Is it wise to go up to 1024x 1024?

So you suggest mirroring alot of parts. Seems like a good idea. Another problem i'm having, is with parts that jut out. :S Anyway, thanks for your help so far :)

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#4]
I didn't try, but Tattoo seems a good application for that.

For UVW mapping for a face you should do just the Half of the face (if you don't need assymetric things like a nose ring, or a face tattoo on the left or such)

Usually a face model is symmetric, and the same UV and a 128x128 or 256x256 (for hi detail) texture can do beatiful stuff.

Check this face out

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#5]
Very nice indeed. The eyes seem so sharp. I'm using tattoo and it's great. Just a lack of skill on my end :)

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#6]
Please refer to the Topic of the same name in the Blitz 3d forum. Sorry for the cross post :)