In need of animation proggram

Community Forums/Developer Stations/In need of animation proggram

patisawesome(Posted 2003) [#1]
I need an animation program. Does anybody have a suggestion?
-me

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
CharacterFX is very good (and cheap) for low-pol skeletal animation. For recommendations regarding any other type of animation, please be specific.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#3]
CharacterFX is pretty much the only low cost option, really.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#4]
In theory you can get 3D Canvas, it's freeware, and the Pro-Version is 50$: http://www.amabilis.com/

you need then to export it as DX8 .X, then convert it to .B3D using Stickmans Converter from :
http://blitz.idigicon.com/filesystem_download.asp?NickName=Stickman&ProjectName=STK_DX8_to_B3D_file_Converter&Filename=DX8-to-B3D.zip

EDIT - wait a minute - my mistake: you need at least the PLUS Version of 3D Canvas to save the Animations as .X. The PLUS Version costs about 35$, and the PRO Version costs 70$ and offers even more.

you can try to free Vesion and see if you like it. you still can export your work after purchasing the PLUS Version.

personally I use CharacterFX too, but for CharacterFX you also need a Modeller and a Texturing Tool.

Oh, yeah, btw., just for in case: you don't need to test Anim8or - IT can animate and it can save .3DS...but it cannot save animated .3ds, only static ones. It can save animations only in it's own format which is pretty useless.

Not shure about the Animation export capabilities of: http://www.openfx.org/news/index.php

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#5]
You ever consider changing your nick to PatIsVague?

Do you even mean 2d animation or 3d?

carpman(Posted 2003) [#6]
I think the free version of 3DCanvas now imports and exports .x format but I'm not sure if you can export animations. It's a great program. Try it.
>Carpman

patisawesome(Posted 2003) [#7]
2 things
(1)I mean 3D animation
(2)I just got MilkShape3D
Thanks for the help!
-me

edit: I can't get milkshape to animate!

patisawesome(Posted 2003) [#8]
If help=0
helpneeded()
EndIf
-me

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#9]
Four people helped you already. Their advice is good. What more help do you need?

patisawesome(Posted 2003) [#10]
I can't get milkshape to animate.
-me

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#11]
Error: function "helpneeded()" not found.
Error: unassigned Statement "I can't get milkshape to animate." - Missing Parameters.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#12]
lol

patisawesome(Posted 2003) [#13]
Har har.
-me

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#14]
You're best bet is to use the milkshape forums for specific milkshape help.

Milkshape animates using bones so you've got to assign all your verts to bones.

Once you've done that only then will you be able to animate.

Animation in milkshape is a touch shaky, however, once you get the hang of it it's fine. Start by creating a shed load of frames, if you're doing a walk animation pick about 4 key poses and leave gaps of a few frames between those. Milkshape will automatically fill in the gaps. Then adjust the inbetween frames to make sure feet don't go through the floor and stuff.

Have a good play first so you have some specific questions then people will be able to help you better.

patisawesome(Posted 2003) [#15]
I can't figure out how to assign vertects to bones.
-me

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#16]
There are step by step instructions in the help file.
If I were a betting man, I'd bet you already found that much out but jumped in instead of starting at the beginning and working your way through to it. I do that all the time and it's kind of a mistake. So, start with the fundamentals, even if you think you don't need to and work your way through.

patisawesome(Posted 2003) [#17]
I don't have the help files. And when I try to download them, it makes me close.
-me

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#18]
Never mind the help files. Just read the tutorials on the Milkshape website. Study Scarecrow's tutorials in particular.

Still, I would recommend picking up CharacterFX too. I use Milkshape for some modeling tasks but always CharacterFX for animation. It's only $15.

patisawesome(Posted 2003) [#19]
I don't know how to get the "skeleton" window to pop up.
-me

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#20]
What "skeleton" window? Everything you need for rigging characters (ie. creating and assinging joints) is accessible on the various tab menus.

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#21]
I don't know what to make of this thread.
-me

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#22]
Do you have a hoist that gets you out of bed? Read the tutorials. They will help you do what you wanna do.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#23]
How do you make a hoist ?
-me

GameCoder(Posted 2003) [#24]
I have a thing that doesnt work because its broken in that place. Please can somebody help!!

patisawesome(Posted 2003) [#25]
Never mind! Obviusly I have to figure it out myself!
-me

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#26]
Please Pat. Have you tried reading your posts? Their not very helpful.

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#27]
Problem is...the skeleton window keeps popping up!