painting models?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/painting models?

MarkT(Posted 2003) [#1]
In 3dsmax or milkshape, is it possible to "paint" the textures on your models? If it's possible, are there any tutorials available online?

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#2]
Mark,

Check out Tattoo 1.2 by Terabit - it is possible to paint onto a model with this tool.

IPete2.

MarkT(Posted 2003) [#3]
i know, but i was wondering if its possible from inside 3dsmax

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#4]
Nope. Max is a modellor not a texture editor

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#5]
... the same goes for Milkshape, and just every other 3d modellor.

MarkT(Posted 2003) [#6]
Are there any plugins that allow me to do this inside max?

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#7]
Deep Paint can work on plugin basis, sort of, but it's a whopping 1000$ or something like that. I think Body Paint can be used as a plugin as well, but that too is pretty expensive.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#8]
I know that Discreet Paint* (which is now part of Combustion) lets you paint on the model in realtime in Max. Again, seriously expensive. I would recommend using Terabits Tattoo.

MarkT(Posted 2003) [#9]
wow, combustion is $995, i got PLasma for $600 and the guy through in a copy of max4

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#10]
... the same goes for Milkshape, and just every other 3d modellor.

for the sake of accuracy, Maya has this feature. but painting on a 3D model isn't all it's cracked up to be. it's okay for broad sweeps of color, but on generally low poly models, the kind of detail i've wanted on a skin to mask it's low polycount lends itself better to regular old 2D paint programs. while i haven't tried it, wouldn't surprise me if Tattoo provides just as much functionality as anything you'll find. but don't expect to avoid the detail work for most objects.

MarkT(Posted 2003) [#11]
THe biggest thing i want is to paint detail onto models such as charing or rust.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#12]
It can be done with Tattoo if you get the hang of it. Give it a go and feel free to offer suggestions as to features you would like to see added in..

I started writing Tattoo because I couldn't afford Deep Paint3D or BodyPaint2!

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#13]
i've been going over some old, incomplete projects and finishing them in my spare time. just finished the skin on an old Q3 model that i might find some future use for. the charring on the weapon arms took only minutes in 2D. i couldn't have painted it faster in 3D. here's a little pimpin' link:

Squidgun

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#14]
"THe biggest thing i want is to paint detail onto models such as charing or rust."

I'm not sure what charing is but for rust csven's comments apply. No offense to TeraBit but I doubt painting rust in Tattoo would work very well; I certainly wouldn't recommend it in Deep Paint or BodyPaint. Assuming you want to use a 3D paint tool I would recommend painting broad areas of color in Tattoo and then taking the texture image into Photoshop (or whatever) and adding details there.

ADDITION: I didn't see csven's last post. I guess "charing" was a misspelling of "charring."

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#15]
Hmmm. Depends how you go about it really.

If you had an image of a patch of rust and then used tattoo image brush, you could dab rust on where you wanted to.

Many people don't really realise the potential of the 'Tattoo Image' brush. It can imprint images with or without masks and with varying opacity. This could be a logo, text, textures etc. Pretty much anything.

It's hard to compete with 2D tools for sheer weight of tools and options though, I agree!

MarkT(Posted 2003) [#16]
How much is Tatoo?, and what model formats does it support?

And i know that creatimg the textures would be easy in photoshop, but i want to add "age" to say somthing like a space ship, liek adding specs of dirt, or charring. I would like to do this in realtime on the 3d model, I like the idea of using tatoo for the color application, and then use photoshop for the detail, but it would still be nice to get in there on the model and paint features right on it. Thanks again.

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#17]
Mark,

Go look on the Blitz Home page, follow the link.

Tattoo is not hidden it is easy to find mate!

£25, and the list is on the link.

IPete2.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#18]
Hi,

As Ipete2 says it's £25 or $42.

The Tattoo home page is here where you can download a non time limited demo (i.e. you just can't save the work but you can play with it as long as you like)

Tattoo currently supports:
B3D, X, 3DS, OBJ and .LWO file formats for 3D and
JPG, PNG, BMP and TGA for Textures.

NobodyInParticular(Posted 2003) [#19]
What kind of registration do you use for Tatoo? It is just a general key code, or is it restricted/tied to the one PC that it was registered on like Ultimate Unwrap? Reason I ask is that I would want to use it on both my home PC, and sometimes where I work. I would be the only one using it in both places BTW...

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#20]
The registration is unique to each installation, but I have no problems with issuing multiple keys to a user as long as they are for personal use (and several users have taken me up on this already).

NobodyInParticular(Posted 2003) [#21]
That is good to hear, that was pretty much my only holdup for registering it, I'll more than likly register it next time I get paid...