GameTools for 3dsMax

Community Forums/Developer Stations/GameTools for 3dsMax

necky(Posted 2003) [#1]
I`ve just released an invaluable set of Tools for 3dsmax that takes a lot of the stress away from mapping, texturing and vertex painting your models.
There is also two new tools that compresses your models textures to a single T-page and a camera system that allows you to freely walk around your model in a Quake manner.

You can download it for free at www.scriptspot.com. It's called 'GameTools V2.0' and you'll find it under the latest scripts menu.

Spread the word. They've already been used in a variety of top games.

ands.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#2]
Nice one. :)

Any tutorials or instructions? I'm not even sure where it was installed to!

Big&(Posted 2003) [#3]
Man, this is ace!!

Used to use your old one, in fact, I dont think I could texture without it.

Superb work and I cant understand why its free!!! :)

necky(Posted 2003) [#4]
Gametools is a Maxscript plugin which are a little trickier to install due to their flexible nature.

To install Gametools into your right-click menu, follow the below steps:

1) Download Gametools and run the installation.
2) Reboot 3dsMax.
3) Go to the 'Customize' menu and select 'Customize User Interface'.
4) Select the 'Quads' tab.
5) In the 'actions' list, select 'Game Tools'.
6) Drag and drop it anywhere inside the box containing a list of the right-click tools in the bottom right of this area (big white box, black wording).
7) Click 'save...' and then just click save again in the file menu.
8) You can now close down the customize box.
9) select your model and click the right mouse button.
10) Within the list of right-click choices you should see 'GameTools'.
11) Select this and it'll open as a floating window. You're now all ready to use it. The tools are under the 'display' drop down menu within Gametools.

This will remain in the right-click menu from now on, even when you reboot.

NOTE:
It is worth noting a couple of rules when using Gametools. Your model must be an editable mesh and, secondly, it musn't contain anything on the stack.
Work with these rules and Gametools will be your friend for life - well, until V3.0 that is!:O)

A help file for GameTools will be out shortly. I`ll keep you all informed once it's on Scriptspot.

Thanks for your support guys. Any problems just give me a shout.

ands.

R0B0T0(Posted 2003) [#5]
Looks like a useful package of tools, I'm going to try this out tonight.

Thanks!

Caff(Posted 2003) [#6]
Wow, these look like they could be very handy.

I'm not sure what I'm doing with any of the tools - I've clicked around a bit, but perhaps you could do us a little tutorial to explain?

Akat(Posted 2003) [#7]
phew... really after tangled along with those rules, im still lost - how to use it actually

necky(Posted 2003) [#8]
It's dead simple. Gametools is a bunch of tools for Max that take the hardship out of mapping, texturing and vertex colouring your models.
A good example is the 'copy' and 'paste' function. The 'copy' and 'paste' tools, alone, will cut your mapping time down by at least half.
Is it the installing you're finding difficult to understand or the tools themselves?

Here is a detailed version of the tools you can find in GameTools:

-----------------------------------------------------------
GameToolsV2.0 is a new plug-in for 3dsmax that can be found at www.scriptspot.com .

It contains the following tools;

UV TOOLS

This is a selection of tools that will dramatically increase your mapping performance within Max. The selection of tools are:
Copy & paste uv coordinates.
Improved facemapping.
Align faces to the viewport.
Viewport map faces.
Vertex colour table compression.
Texture vert table compression.
Viewport texture view toggle button.
Flip selected face UV coordinates horizontally.
Flip selected face UV coordinates vertically.

MINI MATERIAL EDITOR

A new material editor for 3dsmax that dynamically updates to sync up with
your model's material.
Working solely with multimaterials this tool set allows you to quickly and easily manage textures on your model.
As well as the editor there are also a selection of addition utilities. They are:
Multi material compression.
Copy & paste materials between models.
Reload currently shown material texture.
Add new material to current models multi material.
Remove material (anywhere within multi-material!).
Material texture resource collect.
Max material editor clean wipe.
Paste model material to max material editor.

UV DOCTOR

Two main tools are within the section of Gametools. The first is used to realign UV coordinates on faces selected by the user.
The other tool will compress your models UV coordinates so they fit within a UV bounding box. This is very useful when dealing with an engine that can only UV tile below a certain size.

VERTEX COLOUR FACTORY

This section of Gametools deals purely with vertex colours on your model.
When you 'get the colour' on either selected vertices or faces, you can then adjust them globally using the colour balance spinners.
An added, slightly hidden, feature is VCF excepts softselection. This is very helpful when painting on soft spot effects in environment models.
Also you can now, through VCF, bake the results of your radiosity light directly into vertex colours.

TPAGER

When it comes to placing your models material textures onto one texture page then look no further than TPager.
Using a powerful set of algorityms. TPager, intelligently, arranges the textures onto a page whilst minimising the amount of wasted space.
Also built into TPager is a 'baking' tool that will bake the new T-Page to your model.

WALKTHROUGH

Last section in Gametools which is built to allow you to freely walk around your environment model in a Quake-like manner.
Simple, but very useful!!

Akat(Posted 2003) [#9]
actually the tools itself... still dont have any idea on how to begin... i think u should make some tutorial which begin from 'dull' (no texture) character till the character fully texture...

'we' are still lost on 'what this and that button' stand for?

Rob(Posted 2003) [#10]
Yeah it's all a bit confusing I'm sure to use the copy and paste uv function though...

Murphy(Posted 2003) [#11]
great tool, man!!!

but i really would like to see a v2 for max4 ;) ?

and a tut 'bout using (simple room, doorway etc.) qould be great.

well and i have problems getting the right size of the model.... are there any guidelines?

necky(Posted 2003) [#12]
I think I need to press on with those tutorials:O)
For the time being though, if you hover the mouse over each button a small text description appears.

Thanks for your support guys. It's really appriciated.