Has anybody managed to create a ".3ds" or ".x" model files in MilkShape3D with their animations???

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Has anybody managed to create a ".3ds" or ".x" model files in MilkShape3D with their animations???

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anybody has ever managed to succesfully create or convert any model to either the
".3ds" or ".x" file formats with all animations in tact?!?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can supply me with this as my friend is having trouble converting & making models with MilkShape3D in thoes formats with all animations with them as well...Has anybody managed to do it with MilkShape3D and can you explain how you do it...

Thanks again!

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#2]
Dam...

I was hoping that someone may have had an answer to this question... but I guess nobody works with ".3ds" or ".x" files anymore with darkbasic or darkbasic pro or anything else I guesss... I've tried a many of times to load in models in MilkShape3D and to try to convert them with all their animations into either a .3ds or a .x file..
I've had no such luck and I can't never seem to use them due to this impecable annoying problem.. If anybody happens to read this eventually.. I hope either you or someone that you may know might have an answer to this question..

Thank's again!

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#3]
I've never exported heirarchy animation from Milkshape but I think it involves separating your model into groups and then attaching the groups to bones.

NTense(Posted 2003) [#4]
The models have to be segmented (even w/DX because Blitz uses DX7 and Single Mesh Animations aren't supported until DX8). The better option is to export the model to .b3d which support single mesh skeletal animation. BTW, .3DS fileformat doesn't contain skeletal info (at least not when exported from Milkshape).

angel martinez(Posted 2003) [#5]
Also you can animate in Milkshape with bones and export to md2 format, it works pretty well in Blitz3d.

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#6]
So how does the other users manage to use ".3ds" or ".x" model formats with all the models animations in tact with other development languages such as DarkBasic then?
Because I own DarkBasic too, and I see where other users have made games with it and the only model formats they used where ".3ds" or ".x" model file formats... But still they seem to have there models animations with these certain model formats... I understand that the .3ds doesn't export skeletal animations and all... But does the .3ds export morph target animations instead??? Because like I said above in my post here... Other user's have manage to use these model file formate with their games and such, and managed to have animations with them, So why can't I save a model in this format with all animations in tact then?!? I do also understand as well that most of the users that have managed to do this uses 3D Studio Max for there models... Does this make that difference?

I basically am just wanting to know if you can save animations with the .3ds model file format & was just curious as to why I can't never seem to save any animations with the .x model file format as well... Any detailed information would be greatly appreciated guys.. Many thanks in advance..

Rob(Posted 2003) [#7]
why not export to B3D directly? you can get the b3d exporter for milkshape on this site if it isn't already included with milkshape these days.

If you want to use it with blitz, export as b3d.

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#8]
ok...
Many thanks Rob and another on here for that usefull information and I already have that exporter in tact with my copy of MilkShape3D... I was just wanting to know if you can export animations in the .3ds file format and how they manage to do it with the exporters of Milkshape3d for the .x file format..That's all as Im' puzzled over this stuff... With DarkBasic.. The original DarkBasic.. They only have .3ds & .x model file formats, and I never was able to get animations exported in these model file formats and was wondering how I might be able to do it in the near future if I wanted to develope a project using it with my other buddy.. I was hoping someone could shed some light on this annoying matter for me...

Thanks again guys....

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#9]
Well cripes dude. If you are concerned about how to get stuff working in DarkBasic ask over on their forum. Around here we use Blitz3D, and in that case you can export b3d models from Milkshape which include everything you can do with 3ds file format (including animation) and more.

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#10]
@ jhocking...

Dude... I didn't mean to offend you, I was simpley just curious as if it's possible to export animations in the .3ds model file format...That's all!! And what's so wrong with working with another development language like DarkBasic anyways?!? I realize that Blitz3D is one of the best..that I have no doubt about..But I have another friend of mine that uses's DarkBasic as well and I have a copy of that too as well... I told him that I would help him out from time to time... All I was wanting to do is hopfully ask on these forums to see if someone might be kind enough to lend a helping hand to these questions...That's it!!!!
And BTW too...I have already asked on the DarkBasic forums and havn't gotten' a reply yet as they seem kinda' stuck up over there, so I was hoping that you good guys might be able to shed some light on these questions for me...

Best Regards,

RGR(Posted 2003) [#11]
;-

GfK(Posted 2003) [#12]
If you have nothing helpful for DoctorWho to say, why don't you just be quite? (sic)
Whereas your reply was *really* constructive, eh?

Jhocking is right. This isn't the place for DarkBasic questions.

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#13]
@ Gfk

Actually speaking here...
I was originally asking The question below...

I was just wondering if anybody has ever managed to succesfully create or convert any model to either the
".3ds" or ".x" file formats with all animations in tact?!?

I wasn't directly asking a question that pertains only to darkbasic only!! Please re-read the above question first before you make your reply!! And Kournikov is right in what he said above in reply to that of jhocking...
If jhocking has nothing usfull to say in reply to the question stated above... Then he should just be quite!!!

These Forums are here to help other users use Blitz3D better, Not to critisize or chase them away from asking for help! If you dont agree with the question stated in this thread then you shouldn't be part of it should you!
I rest my case!!!

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#14]
Your question seems pretty valid to me -
I'm pretty sure that 3dcanvas exports .X with skeletal animation - Stickman is working on a .X to .b3d exporter for it.

3dMax has a .X exporter as well - I think its in the DX9 sdk but couldn't be sure.

The .3ds format is a total mystery to me especially when dealing with animation and the .x format changes with every version of DirectX

The best solution would be to tell your friends to use a 3d programming language that has its own file format - like Blitz3d !

Cheers

p.s go easy on jhocking he gives a lot of good and useful advice on this forum.

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#15]
@ Smiff

p.s go easy on jhocking he gives a lot of good and useful advice on this forum.

Ok! understood! But he should really read the question carefully before making such a comment like:

Well cripes dude. If you are concerned about how to get stuff working in DarkBasic ask over on their forum.

The question had nothing to do with DarkBasic directly, The question was about how to get animations saved in a ".3ds" file or possibly an ".x" file.. That all!!

I Thank jhocking for his usefull information and I wasn't meaning to come off like a smart ass or anything like that.. I just would of appreciated if he would of tried to answer the auestion at hand rather than make a comment that I was inquiring about darkbasic when I wasn't!!!

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#16]
.3ds hierarchic animation can be proficiently used, even for a humanoid character.

See (or download) DoDeadKay demo, levels, models and all, is in the .3ds format (this demo is 2 years old, and was compiled with the early version of blitz3D)

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#17]
Oy, I think I should interject here. First off, thanks anyone who was defending me but I'm pretty used to people getting their panties in a twist and shooting off flames so you can save your breath (or fingers I suppose.)

Second, in case you haven't noticed I DID post a reply to the original question. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful but I've never tried to export heirarchy animation from Milkshape; I mostly posted because I felt bad that nobody else was trying to help. Then my second post was in reaction to the revelation that the reason for the question is for working in DarkBasic. My post wasn't to suggest that DarkBasic is bad or that the question is stupid, just that he should be asking it on the DarkBasic forum; this forum is for Blitz, there is a separate forum for DarkBasic.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#18]
Your question seems pretty valid to me -
I'm pretty sure that 3dcanvas exports .X with skeletal animation - Stickman is working on a .X to .b3d exporter for it.

3dMax has a .X exporter as well - I think its in the DX9 sdk but couldn't be sure.

The .3ds format is a total mystery to me especially when dealing with animation and the .x format changes with every version of DirectX

True, but the only version that matters is DX7 .x files, because that's the only version Blitz can read. And they don't support skeletal animation, so there's no major advantage over .3ds ( I guess the filesizes might be smaller? )

Again, I don't quite understand the question, because it doesn't seem to be aimed at exporting for Blitz. You can export skeletal or hierarchical animation to .b3d and have all your brush properties too. So why use .3ds or .x?