Help!

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Help!

elseano(Posted 2003) [#1]
I don't know which modelling program to buy/download! Please tell me which one you would recommend, bearing in mind i have no previous modelling skills, and that I don't have much cash at the moment...:(

Garion(Posted 2003) [#2]
MMM, Tricky one this, but I suppose Milkshape would be high up on my list if I were just starting out.

It has import/ Export filters for most game formats and there are tutorials availible at the website Look at
http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

Another package which in this case is free is Wings3D at www.wings3d.com

Inspired by Nendo it's quite easy to use 8)

You do not say what part of the world you are in or how much you wish to spend 8).

In the UK we get a lot of free software on Magazine CD's. I have recently got my hands on Cinema 4D 6, Carrara 1.x, Poser 3, Truspace 3...the list goes on.

The Link to the publishers site for these mags is http://www.futurenet.com/futureonline/

I hope this helps

Garion
from Scotland

David819(Posted 2003) [#3]
I would recommend milkshape i use it and it is the most easy to use and can make realy good models as well.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#4]
Depends on your budget, Milkshape is dirt cheap and does the job without too many bells and whistles. If you've got a couple of grand in your back pocket then you're probably better off with lightwave or 3dmax as these are fully featured and recognised application outside the world of hobby programmer.

David819(Posted 2003) [#5]
Well i have 3ds max and the help support line is rubbish and also it is hard to use, lightwave i have never used but it seems quite good from models i have seen made in it from othere people.
but if you dont want to learn all the functions to make a model then milkshape is probably for you more than the others.

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#6]
I've had the opportunity to try Max and didn't like it. Very clunky.

I recommend Milkshape certainly, it takes some getting used to but it's quite good once you get the hang of it.

Although I've been using it for years and I *still* don't understand how the smoothing groups work properly.

David819(Posted 2003) [#7]
Using milkshape is very easy but maybe not to every one it depends on what you are trying to make in it and also on how well you can explore the programs ins and outs and you can get lots of tutorials for it as well which are very easy to follow.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#8]
I don't understand why people ask questions like this. You're only gonna get 5/10/100 biased and worthless opinions. ( I'm not even gonna bother offering my biased and worthless opinion. )

What truly matters is finding the package you're comfortable with. Read the above replies. There are people here who have apparently spent thousands of pounds/dollars on 3dsMax and can't get on with the interface. That should tell you that price/quality and the fact that a whole load of other people love it is no guarantee that YOU will like it.

Download demo/trial versions of all the candidates and see which one you like best. Believe me, if you go by other people's opinions and feature lists, you'll end up with something you can't use. And all the features in the world aren't worth a damn if you don't know how to use them. Find the package that feels natural and that you can work well and quickly in, and you'll have found a package that's well worth your money. ( Or time, since Wings and a couple of others don't actually cost any money. )