Alias Systems: Maya Personal Learning Edition 5 Now Available for Free Download

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Alias Systems: Maya Personal Learning Edition 5 Now Available for Free Download

W0-13(Posted 2003) [#1]
Maya Personal Learning Edition(TM) 5 software is now available for free download from www.alias.com/mayaple. Maya Personal Learning Edition 5 offers almost every feature found in the full commercial version of Maya Complete(TM) 5 including an industry-leading set of modeling, animation, rendering and effects tools.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#2]
Maya Personal Learning Edition™ is a special version of Maya®, that provides free access to Maya Complete™ software for non-commercial use.

http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/maya/index.shtml

note the "for non-commercial use"... :/

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#3]
damn, beat me to it...

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#4]
Some people are using Blitz for "non-commercial use" ;)

I wouldn't think your chances of exporting a useable format at high, however.

skn3(Posted 2003) [#5]
Well you could use the learning version, and then when you go comerical buy the liscence with the profits you make or get the company that publishes your game to front you the money before "comercializing" the product.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#6]
Learnig Edition is a good Idea if you plan to work in the 3D Design Industry.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#7]
"you could use the learning version, and then when you go comerical buy the liscence with the profits you make"

One major problem: there's no way to export to b3d file format from Maya PLE. It is fine for learning Maya (hence the name "personal learning edition") but that's it; you can't develop anything with it. Geez, this is just like gmax all over again.

ragtag(Posted 2003) [#8]
It's for learning Maya so they can sell more copies of Maya (XSI, Houdini and others have this too). The Maya one has a big logo in the viewports, saves to a weird format, and has disable a number of the MEL commands that would let you write your own file exporter...all this in addition to the non-commercial use license.

I think these products are a good idea for people interested in trying out 3D and learning the software, without having to pay an arm and a leg or resorting to piracy (hmmm...makes you wonder why pirates have hooks and peg legs).

Ragnar