Maya -> 3DS

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Maya -> 3DS

Rage_Matrix(Posted 2003) [#1]
Anyone here using Maya? If so, how can I export my Maya objects (*.mb) to 3D Studio (*.3DS) or B3D format, textures and all? Anything I need to be aware of when doing this?

Thanks for any info.

Rage_Matrix

smilertoo(Posted 2003) [#2]
Deep Exploration program will convert them for you, but its not cheap. (then again neither is maya)

ErikT(Posted 2003) [#3]
Export to .obj, most packages can read that format. If you want to export animations too then all I know of is Deep Exploration.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#4]
There are various ways to convert obj to 3ds or b3d file format, including some free tools I think. Personally I would recommend Ultimate Unwrap for file converting.

podperson(Posted 2003) [#5]
Actually I've been finding problems with Ultimate Unwrap's handling of 3DS files (in essence it can't cope with instances properly). The downside is that unless you reduce your model to a mesh you tend to run into trouble with most file converters.

In the end, converting to a mesh and saving as OBJ is highly reliable and predictable.

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#6]
If you need animation / bones, you will be in trouble.

If it's a static mesh (eg: a level mesh) I succeeded in export a .ma / .mb file into .lwo with deep exploration, then export it to .b3d with the Terabit's lwo converter.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#7]
If you want a simple static mesh I can post a .obj file loader.

It will load a quad or triangle .obj file and return the mesh handle. As Lilobyte says though, if you need something more (bones/animation) then you will need a whole convertor / exporter built.

Apollonius(Posted 2003) [#8]
Most people with Maya, have hacked version 6999 bucks is way to much,I have Maya Hacked, not hacked? I might be rich ;)

wmaass(Posted 2003) [#9]
Huh??

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#10]
for animation files, thought i saw a plug-in for Maya to export out for use in Max. check Highend3D for a plugin.

btw, Maya Complete is $2000, not $7000. unfortunate to hear people feel the need to use hacked software on a programming forum. and volunteer that fact when it doesn't appear relevant.

wmaass(Posted 2003) [#11]
You can also get a X file exporter for Maya at Highend3D -- I see that it supports animation but have not tried it myself. Static objects appear to work fine.

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#12]

unfortunate to hear people feel the need to use hacked software on a programming forum. and volunteer that fact when it doesn't appear relevant.

You are right, I agree, this is not the place where to talk about those arguments but I don't see what is so illegal in using for studing purpouses a serious 3D package. As far as you don't get money for what you do with one of those packages, otherwise, the cracked versions would be not so easily distributed and found on the net.
To be Read: Software houses have interest you use the software, whichever the form (payed or not), the success of 3dsmax in 3dgraphic was due to the fact that 3dsmax was easy to find everywhere to download.

The result ?

Max being the first used package for games, and one of the first for cinema/tv/rendering. Softimage almost disappeared, and maya and lightwave (being copied by Max from a to z, from GUI to tools since ages) start to follow the same policy as Kinetik / Discreet was actuating: a very flexible one.

This brought their products at the top and as soon as a people, freelancer or employee get serious on one of this package, he or the firm simply buys it !

my 2 cents

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#13]
I don't see what is so illegal in using for studing purpouses a serious 3D package. As far as you don't get money for what...
So you're saying it's OK for me to download a hacked version of your game, because I don't make any money on it? Geez...

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#14]
Maya and Lightwave "copied" from Max? don't think so. i was using Videoscape 3D (Lightwave's early incarnation) on an Amiga long before 3D Studio was out. and Maya is a newly-coded incarnation and replacement for Alias's Poweranimator which also predates 3DStudio Max (tho not 3DStudio). and lastly, SoftImage almost died because it was bought by Microsoft and used as a tool for moving 3D over to Windows NT. after that it got dumped (sorry no link, but i remember that vividly - you can thank MS, however much it hurts, for the lower cost of most 3D software today).

http://personal.southern.edu/~dascott/lwhistory/

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/5323/1990.htm

http://www.alias.com/eng/about/history/19901999.shtml

as it turns out Lightwave, Poweranimator, and 3DStudio all launched in 1990. you should also know that it was Lightwave and Poweranimator that forged inroads into cinema and television, not 3DStudio. Lightwave w/ VideoToaster was groundbreaking stuff back then. and Alias was already getting Oscars for special effects CG. not 3DStudio. the only part you got right was that 3DStudio enjoyed a foothold in the gaming industry - a foothold that has slipped badly the last couple years. fact is, it's more expensive than either LW or Maya Complete (unless there's some recent price drop i've not heard about).

wrt "what is so illegal in using for studing purpouses a serious 3D package" my answer is: get the learning editions. that's what they're for. of course if the goal is OTHER than learning...

wmaass(Posted 2003) [#15]
csven is spot on especially RE Lightwave -- it is no way a copy of anything.

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#16]
what's funny is that the "policy" of allowing software to be pirated is pretty questionable. 3DStudio was the only real PC option for 3D at the time. LW on the Amiga and Poweranimator on Irix just weren't large targets for the hacking community - you had to own the hardware. additionally, games on PC's took off so it's no wonder 3DStudio became the tool of choice there.

Newtek moved Lightwave over to the PC because the Amiga died. Alias moved Poweranimator and Studio over to the PC because MS ported SoftImage over and PC's were overtaking SGI boxes in the bang-for-buck category - they had to stay competitive. That both packages started getting pirated only makes sense. They were on PC's running under Windows!

as for interface, LW's has definitely been in a class all it's own and evolved over many years. and Maya's interface is an evolution of Studio's which most definitely didn't look to 3DStudio for inspiration. in fact, does 3DStudio even have the floating toolbox menus tied to the cursor/Spacebar like Maya? i haven't seen any app do that. and that's straight from Studio.

the one thing i think 3DStudio did that caught on was promoting plug-in architecture. that extensibility was a nice move. but it has drawbacks. lots of people don't like having to learn a slightly different interface for a plug-in. not sure how LW is handling that stuff, but Maya has leap-frogged that with it's Mel scripting. lots of studios make a decision to go with Maya because of Mel.

not saying handing out unprotected software hasn't happened. i've seen it with SolidWorks when they started competing with Pro/Engineer. but i doubt 3DStudio was handed out for free back then - they had no competitors on the PC to take market share away from.

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#17]
(being copied by Max from a to z, from GUI to tools since ages)

As I stated, Max copied LWO and MA since ages, not the inverse.

Fredborg, what I'm arguing, is that the pirate version of 3dsmax was their fortune.

Also, a game is not an application.

Still, I'm sure all of you had a cracked version of a game installed once.

Still Unreal Tournament, one of the greatest hit in the FPS games galaxy, had more than a milion players playing online on servers, more than half of them (me have an original copy) played with a cracked copy. Unreal Tourny was a success anyway.

I'm not saying piracy is health, I'm saying piracy was a boost for software houses, now at this time, where the piracy is so easy to get, well, is surely a real damage for many.

BTW: you could play my game cracked, but you would'nt be eligible of prizes for being first in the online score table ;)

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#18]
i thought you edited your post after my response. perhaps i'm mistaken. in any event, Maya came well after Max, hence the confusion. and i've not seen any evidence that either company is following Kinetix/Discreet's "flexible" policy (regarding encouraging the piracy of their products to gain market share). that's your assumption. as stated, i simply believe it goes with the Windows territory. perhaps you didn't understand my comments.

I'm not saying piracy is health, I'm saying piracy was a boost for software houses, now at this time, where the piracy is so easy to get, well, is surely a real damage for many.

you appear to agree that piracy is currently not beneficial to the developer, so what is your point in all this? i honestly don't understand what it is you're trying to say here.

btw, i've NEVER had a cracked game installed. so much for your being "sure". another assumption...

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#19]
Yes ok so why are we talking ?

3dsMax was a piece of crap modified version of the user unfriendly AutoCad, an industrial application.

With years it got to an acceptable quality thanks to external plugins wrote by 3rd parties. It never started as a solid and complete package, it became it in years.

Max was first born than Maya, but Maya comes from the Alias WaveFront experience, and not from nothing, 3dsmax at those time was a little more than MilkShape3D (max2.0)

Softimage and Lightwave were the real packages, 3dsmax was a cheap way to transform an industrial CAD in something else.

Not exactly what LWO or MA teams planned when they started.

Yes I argue piracy was the fortune of software houses in many cases, so many times. Imagine a game, which can be played only onto palladium® systems, instead of 2 milions will be like 10.000 the total players 10.000 x 50 dollars, is 500.000 dollars, with that money the company will pay a quarter of the development expenses, and 0 of the marketing expenses (which were the most) the game failed, they will not advertize it anymore, and go to loose all its marketing potential, nobody will make large LANz with that game, and it will never get copyright shares by radio tv or other media which talks or make a lan-tourney with it, in few words, it will fail, but ok, it will played only in its original uncracked version.

Viva !

btw, have you had a women at least ?

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#20]
Litobyte wrote:

was a boost for software houses

piracy was the fortune of software houses in many cases, so many times

now at this time, where the piracy is so easy to get, well, is surely a real damage for many.

operative word being "was".

Litotype asked:

btw, have you had a women at least ?

why? you cruising the forums for a piece of ass, Litobyte?

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#21]
No, but you know I was wondering if you move your ass from your chair sometime during your day or if you stay just there.

A part of that, is not my intention to fight

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#22]
dunno, dood. some young foreign guy(?) asking about my sex life and then showing concern for my ass makes me suspicious.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#23]
Going downhill fast...