UnRealEd

Community Forums/Developer Stations/UnRealEd

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#1]
Anyone who has used it will know you
can export to Lightwave obj format.
Problem is, the file is huge. Is there a way
to load in such a huge file in Blitz?
I've tried but get memory violations when I do.
Any ideas?

Doggie

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#2]
Blitz does not support OBJ format. Convert to 3DS, X or B3D.

Difference(Posted 2003) [#3]
There is a 65000 something vertex limit on surfaces in DirectX, and therefore in Blitz.

Make sure your object is divided into smaller parts *AND* use LoadAnimMesh(), to avoid Blitz trying to optimize/weld parts into a too large surface.

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#4]
@Jedive -Yeah, that's right. I forgot to mention I converted the obj files to 3ds but they're still huge.
Maybe BSP factory should consider supporting UnRealEd
files???
@Peter -I'll try that tip using LoadAnimMesh.
The obj file is 34,500 and the 3ds is 6,500 which
I'd think should load.

Thanks for the tips

Doggie

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#5]
Have you actually imported the level into something else to see if the UV coordinates are even there? If not, it hardly seems worth the bother. UV mapping the entire level manually would be less work than simply using a level editor specifically designed for Blitz.. like Maplet or CShop.

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#6]
if you built you level in UEd using the bsp method, then its not worth exporting. it comes out as lots of seperate intersecting planes. but if you used static meshes , then it should be ok

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#7]
@Ruz - I haven't gotten that far. I was just toying around with it and loaded and saved a sample level to obj just to see what could be done with the output. It looks like a great editor but might take a bit of learning.

Doggie

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#8]
Maybe BSP factory should consider supporting UnRealEd
files???
The problem is that Unreal format is pretty undocumented :(

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#9]
is that even legal, i mean using that format in another editor

Lars Quentmeier(Posted 2003) [#10]
I've written a convertor a while ago.
You can take a level and export it to Blitz. My Convertor also reads out the textures, computes portal-zones and lightmaps using YAL.
I've never really finished it, but it should work. It was actually designed for my own needs.

If you want it write me a mail.
If there is a real need for it I could finish it.

I personally use Worldcraft right now and convert the bsp into Blitz with UltimateUnwrap3d. Then I use Yal to create the lightmaps.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#11]
Do you have an Unreal converter? Want to write an importer for CShop, or let me take a look at the source so that I can write the importer myself?

Lars Quentmeier(Posted 2003) [#12]
Hi RockStar!
It is relatively easy to parse a level that is saved in the Unreal t3d-fileformat.
The first problem you will face is that UED exports every single brush that you used creating the level. So you will have to use your own csg functions to connect the brushes or you can use a little trick (this is what I used) and make a brush that surrounds your level and deintersect the brush.
You end up with one big brush that can be exported as t3d.
Unfortunately you will lose all other information(portals/lights..) if you use this trick. So if you want entities and the mesh you will have to parse two different files.
UV-Coordinates are also stored differently than in most other fileformats.
I'll send you what I've got.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#13]
I'm confused...everything I see in Unreal is in these big .utm packages. How does that relate to .t3d? Can I get the original Unreal Tourney maps in .t3d format?

Lars Quentmeier(Posted 2003) [#14]
Only if you convert all static meshes into brushs and export your textures into something Blitz can read. It is really difficult to load .utm packages because there is no documentation on them.

Lars Quentmeier(Posted 2003) [#15]
Here is how you do it:
1) start UED and load a level.
2) export textures used in this level.
3) convert static meshes into brushes
4) export as t3d(trick)

Lars Quentmeier(Posted 2003) [#16]
Here is the link I used as refference !
http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/msg.cgi?showThread=19July2000-UnrealFileFormat&forum=askmid&id=-1

Warren(Posted 2003) [#17]
How does that relate to .t3d? Can I get the original Unreal Tourney maps in .t3d format?

You can export all the maps to T3D ... just use the "File" menu in UnrealEd.

However, you'll face a few hurdles.

1) The brushes are spit out as they were created. Some are additive, some are subtractive, etc. You'll have to recreate the BSP on your own.

2) UnrealEd allows for concave brushes (composed entirely of convex polys), so make sure your CSG code can handle that.

3) The texture coordinates are expressed as vectors. You'll have to convert back to coordinates if that's what your code uses.

Other than that, you should be good to go.

Also realize that you'll only get the BSP in the T3D file. Everything else will be expressed as a reference to a resource in a package file (static meshes, models, etc).

Lars Quentmeier(Posted 2003) [#18]
EpicBoy: "1) The brushes are spit out as they were created. Some are additive, some are subtractive, etc. You'll have to recreate the BSP on your own."

No:Make a brush that surrounds your level and deintersect the brush.
You end up with one big brush that can be exported as t3d(Brush/export).

EpicBoy:"3) The texture coordinates are expressed as vectors. You'll have to convert back to coordinates if that's what your code uses."

Yes that's it.

Lars Quentmeier(Posted 2003) [#19]
Ok I here is the code for my convertor.
But it is ugly as hell(was my first bigger program) and is documented in German.
It was ment as tool for my own game, but was never used.
I won't finish this tool. So feel free to do it yourself.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/larsq/downloads/t3d_B3d_Alpha.zip

a,y and arrows = Navigation
f1: calculate lightmaps
f2: calculate lightmaps + save b3d
f3: calculate lightmaps + save b3d +show lightmaps
f4: calculate lightmaps + save b3d +show lightmaps + close program

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#20]
Many thanks. This could be really cool.

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#21]
Lars I suppose he already knows that, considering that he worked on UT2K3 lol

one question EpicBoy... what is the legality about using this format? About BSP, the format itself has no license problems, but the tools needed to generate the BSP files are licensed by id software and cost money to use in a custom game. That's why I am using Half-Life BSP maps in BSP Factory, cos ZHLT is an open-source BSP compiler.

About UT maps... does the tools also have license issues? Ok, I assume yes, but it's good to be sure.

Lars Quentmeier(Posted 2003) [#22]
Good night and good luck!
Make sure to read the Flipcode article that I posed above before you start reading my ugly code.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#23]
Lars
No:Make a brush that surrounds your level and deintersect the brush.
You end up with one big brush that can be exported as t3d(Brush/export).

Yes and no. That will work, but you might not like the splits/cuts in the deinteresected brush. And if you don't, you're out of luck. At least with the individual brushes you can build/optimize the BSP yourself.

Yes that's it.

FYI, I wrote UnrealEd. I have a decent handle on what it does. ;)

Jedive

I'm not familiar with legal issues or what you can and can't use. Epic is usually pretty good about this kind of stuff, but if you are really curious email Tim Sweeney and see what he says (tim@...).

Lars Quentmeier(Posted 2003) [#24]
EpicBoy:"FYI, I wrote UnrealEd. I have a decent handle on what it does. ;)"

Cool, I did not know that! Good work EpicBoy. Now I understand where your name comes from.

I've started an Unreal Mod with a friend of mine a few weeks ago. It's proceeding nicely.