Ultimate Unwrap question

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Ultimate Unwrap question

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hey, i just bought ultimate unwrap and i've got a couple of questions. I'm unwrapping a 3d model which has about 1000 polys in it. The uv co-ords are an absolute mess, and i'm finding myself selecting groups of triangles relaxing them, untangling them, then selecting them one by one and laying them out so i can see which is which.

Now, that's before i've even started tolayout the uv coords correctly onto the texture. It's taken me 1 jours so far and i'm half way thru untangling the all. Is there any tips anyone could give me that might speed the process up a bit?

Thanks in advance :)

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
Well, my first question is why the UV coordinates are an absolute mess. If you do things correctly the UV coordinates will be pretty good the entire time you are working on them.

At any rate, it sounds like you are doing all of your selecting in the UV editor window which is making things harder for yourself. You can select polygons in the 3D view by hitting S to switch to selection mode.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#3]
Well, it's not my model so i didn't have any control over the uv's. Thanks for the tip tho :) much appreciated!

Ken Lynch(Posted 2003) [#4]
What 3D software are you using to create your models?

I use 3D Canvas an paint each specific section a different colour and use the group by material option when unwrapping, this generally stops stuff overlapping.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#5]
Cool, that sounds handy :). i don't really create 3d models, just try and texture them. Never realised Ultimate unwrap was so powerful.

I've got to confess tho...i'm an idiot! I thought that to unwrap and assign texture coords, you had to drag each vertex into place :S That's why it was taking so long!! I'm getting the hang of it now and it's pretty damn cool 8^)

well, this is the way i'm doing it so far. Select triangles from the 3d view, then planar map them, then arrange them on the texture space. It's fun actually me thinks. still hard work tho. I'll give your idea a try Ken, thanks for that.

Ramble over :D