DELUXE PAINT PC???

Community Forums/Developer Stations/DELUXE PAINT PC???

PimpDaz(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi folks, I was wonering if there is a pc version of the old Deluxe Paint Programs from my Amiga days; or is there anything similar??? For 2D graphics I'm toying with the idea of running D Paint III on an emulator and importing the iff files into paint shop pro, is there anybody out there who has done anything similar????

I really fancy a game of laser squad.......

cheers

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#2]
Try ProPixel 2D, it looks pretty close and it's a blitzer product. :)

sswift(Posted 2003) [#3]
Yes Deluxepaint and DeluxeAnimator both came out for the PC. But they're DOS programs, limited to low res and 256 colors.

soja(Posted 2003) [#4]
UltimatePaint

PimpDaz(Posted 2003) [#5]
Thanks guys, i'll check em out ;-)

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#6]
Just to let you know below is the link to the latest version (only been out a couple of days). I've just checked the BP website and they have yet to up the latest.

Among other things this new demo includes a help system :)

New Version thread

PS: cheers for the mention Perturbatio

RFBcsa(Posted 2003) [#7]
If you want, I could send you a copy of DPaint for the PC. I have it here somewhere....

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#8]
No one mentioned ProMotion. Surely it is DPaint for the PC generation.

Jason.

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#9]
UltimatePaint
Thanks Soja!! Bought 3 reg#s for UP yesterday for my team...

soja(Posted 2003) [#10]
I wonder if I should ask for a kickback

;)

PimpDaz(Posted 2003) [#11]
Hi, thanks for all your help folks; I downloaded Dpaint for pc along with a few demos of other stuff.

Ill let you know how i get on with em,......... Ultimate paint looks the biz though i gotta admit ;-)

James(Posted 2003) [#12]
Check out pro motion by cosmigo http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/index.php it's pretty much an exact copy of dpaint and then some, all in a neat little windows package. It's $58 but I found it worth the price and have been using it ever since windows 2000 came out.

James

Big&(Posted 2003) [#13]
Got to agree with James, Pro Motion is THE 2D package. If you liked DPaint you will love this...

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#14]
Just hope it can keep up the development to contend with ProPixel Studio then. Even the budget ProPixel2D gives it a run for it's money (minus animation). :)

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#15]
Promotion is frigging awesome!!

If you want, I could send you a copy of DPaint for the PC. I have it here somewhere...
Do you have a URL for this?

Sledge(Posted 2003) [#16]

For 2D graphics I'm toying with the idea of running D Paint III on an emulator and importing the iff files into paint shop pro, is there anybody out there who has done anything similar????

Yeah, I use DPaint IV via WinUAE to R&D GBA stuff (because it does palette rotation, which I've never figured out in PSP). You don't have to manually import IFF files into PSP -- just press [Print Screen] then paste the clipboard instead.

Billamu(Posted 2003) [#17]
You could try Project Dogwaffle. It is based on DPaint as the author of the program was a former Amigan

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#18]
Has anybody managed to get DPaint 5 working with WinUAE?

Jason.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2003) [#19]
If haven't already you might need to run an emulated AmigaOS, there's a program called "Amiga In a Box" about the web, and you'll the amiga workbench disk which are about the web some place also.

But from what I remember DP5 ran off floopies?

You can then,a s you know, run a clutter free, true multitasking OS. ;D

DjBigWorm(Posted 2003) [#20]
emulators amiga??
how about brilliance!
I think it was, and still is a great 2d 256 color app.
I use that with win uae.

Peace.

PimpDaz(Posted 2003) [#21]
Hey folks,

Wots this "Dogwaffle" business, sounds truly intriguing ;-)

Seriously, im havin a good time with ultimate paint at the moment, but i gotta admit "Pro - Motion" is seriously tempting, just need to save some dosh for full cd version!!

Thanks for all your comments, byeee

Pingu(Posted 2004) [#22]
2D Graphics softwares :
pro : ProMotion ( the best, professional stuff )
free : Grafx2

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#23]
Pesonally I use Paint Shop pro, it's cheap and damn powerful.

Mystik(Posted 2004) [#24]
WHSmiths are selling the full version of PSP8.0 for £49 at the moment.

Steve.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#25]
for the low level pixels stuff id go for Pro-motion
its more or less a dpaint 5 clone

http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/index.php

Garion(Posted 2004) [#26]
Project Dogwaffle is a natural Media package akin to Painter.

Its got Oils, Water, Pens, Inks, pencils etc, plus a lot more.

I bought the registered Version and use it mainly for Storyboarding and background work.

Its a very powerful app and well worth the money.

Cheers

garion

Russell(Posted 2004) [#27]
If you just want to convert iff's to whatever, Irfanview (www.irfanview.com) supports SCADS of formats and is totally free.

Also, there was another 2D free paint program I had somewhere written by a Japanese student. Very nice, but I can't remember the name of it :(

My own all-time favorite 2D paint program was DCTV Paint. It's a shame Digital Creations hasn't made it through the "Amiga Purge". Only a few have... Including Blitz, of course!

Russell

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#28]
Why must the dead keep on living?

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#29]

Why must the dead keep on living?

I ask myself that everytime Russel Grant appears on TV.

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#30]

Just hope it can keep up the development to contend with ProPixel Studio then. Even the budget ProPixel2D gives it a run for it's money (minus animation). :)

As a beta tester of ProMotion I can say that it`s still very much in development. If ProPixel2D had animation then I`d look in to it more seriously as it looks like a great program but as it stands I, and most other pixel artists I know need at least basic animation for our work.

Oh and I still do not think that there are any pixel art programs on the PC that come close to the almighty DPaint on the Amiga even though many have tried to copy it.

Jason.

Billamu(Posted 2004) [#31]
an alternative amiga painting application is personal paint. Its free (abandonware?)and it works just like DPaint and it works in AGA (256 Colours).

Ethan3850(Posted 2004) [#32]
Cloanto might disagree with the notion of Personal Paint as being abandonware.

Use Irfanview to convert them and The GIMP for everything else (unless you've got wads of cash to spend on on a professional application).

Billamu(Posted 2004) [#33]
>Cloanto might disagree with the notion of Personal Paint as being abandonware.

http://www.cucug.org/amiga/aminews/1998/980622-cloanto.html

Having said that, I never got to grips with animation functions in GIMP.

Ethan3850(Posted 2004) [#34]
> www.cucug.org/amiga/aminews/1998/980622-cloanto.html

That is not Abandonware as the product still exists and is being developed (for OS 4 - sort of).

The version on Aminet is freeware (technically shareware since when they released it they removed the ability to save gifs (for copyright reasons), but you could still get that ability by buying the full product from them).

EddieRay(Posted 2005) [#35]
Just to chime in here...

I have a copy of Deluxe Animation for the PC from way back when... it seems to work nicely in DOSBox. :-)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#36]
Speaking of palette-based painting, does anyone know of sites that feature preset palettes, eg. a set of 256 pastel colours, a 'winter' palette, a 'hell' palette, a 'primary' palette, and so on?

EddieRay(Posted 2005) [#37]
@James: What is the goal? Just to get a good set of colors that fits the theme and is only 256 colors? There are a few good palettes that come with Deluxe Animation (and I'm guessing other similar palette-based programs have them too), but it really does depend on the target application and whether the palette needs to include "interface" colors, etc.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#38]
palette rotation, which I've never figured out in PSP
In PSP 8 it has changed... Make sure your image is 16 million colors (a PSP limitation... you can cut back later) THEN:
ADJUST (from the menu line... and Hue and Saturation to a submenu. then you can colorize it. HSL adjust it OR recolormap it. It is not automatically done for you. You have to know what you want though... : )

-RZ

Russell(Posted 2005) [#39]
I always loved "DCTV Paint" on my Amiga/DCTV system. Still the most clever way I've seen to fit 21 bits of data into 4 bits of hi-res (640 x 400 -> 768 x 482).

Sure, it was composite, but if that was your final destination, then it wasn't a problem. Besides, Digital Creations came out with a Comp -> Analog converter...right before they went belly up :(

<sighs>. Oh well.

Russell

rno(Posted 2016) [#40]
maybe interesting:

With the permission of Electronic Arts, Inc. the Computer History Museum makes available, for non-commercial use, the source code to the 1986 version I of DeluxePaint. There are 89 files of C language source:

http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm/electronic-arts-deluxepaint-early-source-code/