.b3d models

Community Forums/Developer Stations/.b3d models

David819(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi quite a while ago i sent an email about skeletal animation was told to get character studio but that program wont load high poly models so i was wandering if you could tell me where to get a program that can make .b3d skeletal animations forme please.

David819(Posted 2003) [#2]
Sorry thats CharacterFX i meant.
sorry

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#3]
I routinely work with 10,000+ polygons in CharacterFX. If you can't you need a better machine (my computer is only 450MHz with 128MB RAM;) if you're trying to animate higher polygon counts than that you need to work on optimizing your models.

David819(Posted 2003) [#4]
I'm using a AMD Athlon(tm) 2400+
2.00GHz
512MB ram
120GB memory is that better than you computer cause i'm not to good with the whole computer system thing.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#5]
Heh, you don't have 120GB of memory, you have 512MB; RAM is memory. I assume you mean your harddrive has 120GB capacity, a fact which is pretty much irrelevant to processing speed. Just to clarify. And yes, that is much better than my computer (four times as fast and as much memory specifically.)

This brings me back to my first post; how many polygons are in the model you are trying to animate? After all, "high poly" is a vague term and even on my lesser machine CharacterFX can handle 10,000 polygons just fine.

Something just ocurred to me. Are you importing 3ds models? Because for some reason CharacterFX bogs down on imported 3ds models. Try importing your models in some other file format and see if that works better.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#6]
yep, importing 3ds in CFX can be a pain. use OBJ instead, that's fast. you can use Lithunwrap or Ultimate Unwrap to convert it.

David819(Posted 2003) [#7]
the model i'm trying to import has 34452 polygons and 103356 vertexes could that be why it wont import jhocking, and jfk i'll try to do what you said.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#8]
How on earth are you gonna make a game with 35,000 polygon characters? I've never used more than 2,000 and I've seen other people make much better models than me in 800-1,500.

When I see people using 3,500-4,000 I usually think they've just read the Unreal 2 model specs and used that as an excuse to be lazy. I'd expect a LOT of detail to warrant 4,000 polygons.

But I just can't imagine why you'd want 35,000.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#9]
Maybe it's not a game. At least a new Card, an FX or something like that can handle it easily.

But the amount of vertices suggests that the Vertices are not shared. An Optimation in MAX or Lithunwrap could reduce the amount of Vertices drasticly.

Goober keep in mind that Blitz (or DirectX?) has a Vertices Maximum of 65000 (afaik) PER MESH!

David819(Posted 2003) [#10]
ok but is there any tutorials that you can give for milkshape3d for a decent model but low poly.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#11]
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/resources/halflife/tutorials/milkshape2.shtml

http://www.machinima.com/articleselected.php?value=category&id=2

there are lots of tutorials, but these might be a good start.