md2 exporter

Community Forums/Developer Stations/md2 exporter

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#1]
is there such a thing as an md2 exporter which exports from 3dsmax4/5 . Milkshape does my head in.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
Is QTip available for 3D Studio Max 4? I haven't messed with md2 in a long while.

Incidentally, why do you want to use md2 file format? B3d file format is better for just about everything, pretty much the only exception being arbitrary morphing animation.

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#3]
well the problem is that when I export an animation to milkshape, it inserts an extra frame at the start of my animation, making it look jerky when i export to bs3d.I really wish could just take milkshape out of the equation

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#4]
So delete the first frame?

Yes, Qtip is available for Max 4, but it doesn't work very well in my experience. Adam Barton's MD2 exporter works much better.

www.add3d.co.uk

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#5]
well, you can't do that in milkshape unless I have missed soemething. The only option i saw was to scale the animation which I don't want to do.
Adam bartons md2 exporter doesn't seem to work at all .Qtip is crap.
man,I am getting ready to give up on this and return to UT2003 mods.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#6]
Adam bartons md2 exporter doesn't seem to work at all

Can you be more specific? I've used that exporter with 3dsMax 4.0, 4.2, and 5.0. It's always worked perfectly.

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#7]
Yeah , got it working now, not sure why it was crashing , but it works well now.
Well I am impressed with md2 ,despite its limitations, straight from max to blitz, no probs.
I presume its exports 'multiple meshes' , kind of a snapshot.
The advantage with NOT using bones is that you can skin it anyway you want/weighted vertices in max etc.
It reminds me of exporting using the old Unreal Tournament exporter,before ActorX came along( eeroks unreal exporter)

But obviously the advantage with bones is you can have much higher poly counts and share animations.

MD2 only seems to allow me one texture also?

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#8]
I presume its exports 'multiple meshes' , kind of a snapshot.

Yes, because there are no bones, it has to store each the position of each vertex each frame. It can make some pretty huge files.

But obviously the advantage with bones is you can have much higher poly counts and share animations.

Yep. Plus MD2 apparently has vertex wobbling issues. And lights don't affect MD2's quite right. And you can do some fancy tricks by manipulating bones in realtime.

MD2 only seems to allow me one texture also?

I'm not positive on that one, but it would make sense. I don't think they were using multiple textures per character in Quake 2. Or it may just be a limitation of Adam's exporter.

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#9]
For now though I will stick with it, until There is a simpler way(for me at last) of getting from max to Blitz.