body paint like freeware?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/body paint like freeware?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#1]
Is there any freeware-program that offers those features of "body paint II" of Maxon? ( www.maxon.net )

Or do I have to write one? I am mainly looking for a tool that can stretch the Face aso. in a way like this:
http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/bodypaint3d/bp3d_r2/bp3d_2_d.html

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#2]
Terabit started work on one, I think. It wasn't very advanced, by his own admission, but it looked very promising.

I don't think there's anything else as powerful as BodyPaint 2 though, even commercial.

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#3]
OUCH! That price hurts!

This is not much better, but it's not a plugin and you get more:

www.Pixlogic.com
ZBrush single-user-license: $399 (USD)

Russell(Posted 2003) [#4]
BodyPaint is also available as a stand alone application, AFAIK, although as a plug-in it would improve workflow from within your own personal favorite 3D program. Plug-ins are available for Lightwave, 3D Studio, Maya and, of course, Maxon's own Cinema 4D. So if you own one of those programs you're all set :)

Several movie studios use BodyPaint, so it must be pretty good!

You can download a demo of BodyPaint v2, as well as the base,XL and Studio versions of Cinema 4D R8 (which includes BodyPaint v2) at Maxon's website:
www.maxoncomputer.com (very impressive website, support and program!)

I only wish I had the $$$ to get the XL or Studio version :(

The base version is $595, or about $400 with their competitive upgrade...

I'm saving my pennies...

Russell

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#5]
Yes, the price is way too high for my budget. A lot of professional Character Designers use it. So let's see what Terabit will come up with.

Ok, Body Paint has a ton of features. All I need is a good unwrapper that is Character-Design friendly. Stretching the Face this way makes a good Face mapping easy. I just think about it... Shouldn't be that hard. First split it in front and back, then simply spread the tris in x/y depending on their z-depth and offset from the center...maybe.

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#6]
I believe there's a program called Deep Paint that does this sort of thing. It might be a Max plugin, can't remember.

SSS(Posted 2003) [#7]
have you looked into lithunwrap... that is a pritty good free program or it was, slightly hard to use tho

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#8]
Deep Paint is quite good, but also a heavyweight in terms of price! (Price: US $995 + shipping)

As always when I get started on something I get snowed under with 'real' work.

My attempt at this functionality 'Tattoo' is not very advanced as yet, but as soon as I get a little time to spend on it, should get some nice features.

Tom(Posted 2003) [#9]
jfk, what do you mean by "stretch the face"?, if you mean the small pic on the page, that's just cylindricaly mapped UVs, something which I thought was in every 3D programs UV/mapping toolkit.

Tom

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#10]
TeraBit - Good Luck!

Tom - do you really think it's only cylindrical Mapping? It seems to be something diffrene to me. At least it seems to me it isn't the same like in Lithunwrap. I could be wrong.

Ken Lynch(Posted 2003) [#11]
Ultimate Unwrap3D (www.unwrap3D.com) is what I use. It's not free, but it is cheap and it has lots of very good UV mapping tools. It's not a paint prog though, so you'll need to use it in conjunction with one.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#12]
UU3D is the sequel of LithUnwrap. It is also the only tool that can Import B3D as well as export afaik.

feo(Posted 2003) [#13]
Have you seen uPaint? it comes free on the third CD of Unreal Tournament. It looks really cool, although I only played with it for a bit.