Fontext antialias problem

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Fontext antialias problem

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2003) [#1]
When I do outlines in Fonttext, it antialisas them so that when you use transparency there is a horrible outline of mixed outline colour and black.

How can I turn antialisasing off?

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#2]
That doesn't sound right. Can you send me the texture and ini file?

Are you exporting to a TGA (+alpha) ?

You can turn AA off in your display settings, but you shouldn't have to.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#3]
This doesn't surprise me, because of the way FONTEXT generates it's fonts.

If you blur a font over a black background, and at the same time blur the antialiasing, then you'll end up with semi-tranparent areas over areas which have been blended with black.

Similarly, if you antialias a font against a black background, and generate a similar alpha channel, then the antialised pixels at the edges will be antialised with black, and that will affect the color of those semi-transparent areas at the edges.

If you want a blurry font, the correct way to do it is to use a solid color channel with no black background, and a blurry alpha channel.

A partial solution is to click on the CANVAS button in FONTEXT, and set the canvas to be the same color as your ourline. This will work if your outline completely surrounds your font, though if you have funky outlines where the outline is skewed and the letters touch the background with no outline seperating them from it, then you will get outline color bleed there on the characters.

A true solition might involve some kind of special filter which looks at the alpha channel and fills in black areas with the color of the nearest solid part of the font.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#4]
sswift - you obviously have no idea about the way FONText works, nor how it generates its fonts.

FONText produces correct alpha anti-aliasing using the method you just outlined. Robs problem is unique to him alone, currently. (or at least is a problem with the latest release of FONText).

I would prefer you to keep your uninformed opinions to yourself. Thanks.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#5]

sswift(Posted 2003) [#6]

You know what? I don't like your rude comments. I was only trying to help out. Nobody's perfect, or knows everything. I can't help but make a mistake once in a while when offering assistance.

I offered to support fontext's INI format in my HUD system even though it is of little benefit to me, and I gave you a free copy of one of my systems in exchange for fontext which I didn't even WANT, and this is the thanks I get?

FONTEXT _DOES_ have a rendering bug with italicized fonts mr. smartypants. Take a gander:

But that is clearly not the same issue that Rob is reporting.

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2003) [#7]
Stop Arguing, you both write excellent software ;-) !

It was a problem with SmoothFonts on my XP thats all :)

sswift(Posted 2003) [#8]
"It was a problem with SmoothFonts on my XP thats all :)"

I don't understand how that could be. I have antalised fonts enabled on my system, and I'm not having that problem. Are you by chance using these fonts in a 2D game instead of a 3D game as I would have assumed? That might explain it.

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2003) [#9]
Basically, this is what I do

1) Create font
2) Create Outline
3) Look at the border (Zoom in) it is blended with black which looks awful when transparent.

simonh(Posted 2003) [#10]
I don't know if this is relevent to your problem but the full (best) outline routine in V1.50 uses its own anti-aliasing routine, which when combined with Window's own font smoothing can cause undesirable effects.