Decorator 1.7 Released

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Decorator 1.7 Released

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi all,

Decorator 1.7 features a camera range option in the file prefs.txt and also a 'Hold' (H) key which will give control back in windowed mode. Check the readme.txt.

Download

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#2]
Great Dude....

Caff(Posted 2003) [#3]
Thank you :)

I'm having a few problems, probably because I'm taking a funny route to get to Decorator. Ok, I've made a map in Milkshape, which I've exported to B3D using Mark's plugin. I want to properly texture the tris/polys in Decorator, cos it's a great app :)

Now the exported .b3d doesn't contain lightmap info, but it does have textures. However, when I load into Decorator, I get nothing, just a black screen... When I load the model in Blitz with LoadMesh it looks ok.

Is there some way I can get stuff from Milkshape into Decorator? If I need a lightmap, how would I go about modifying the .b3d to include that (even if it were a uniform grey map just so I could use Decorator to texture).

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#4]
Export from Milkshape as a .X file. It should then load into Decorator. If it's a .B3D then it expects that it has the lightmap already.

If that fails, send me the .B3D/.MS3D and .X and I'll take a look.

Caff(Posted 2003) [#5]
Works great! Didn't realise you could import .X, always thought is was just for b3d.

Thanks!

Caff(Posted 2003) [#6]
One little more request... perhaps there is a way round this again :)

I have exported my plain, untextured Direct X model in. However, because the lighting is uniform I can't see the edges of tris, ie. it doesn't highlight or darken sides of the model as you rotate the mesh.

Would it be possible to have a button that toggles a point light on and off, and dims the scene light, in order to see the tris? I'd be happy to send an example .x if you need to see what I mean :)

Thanks

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#7]
Ah yes. To make the lightmap effective, the level is loaded with FX 1 (Fullbright). Otherwise the lighting from the lightmap would be fighting with the DX light.

It's not too difficult to have a toggle built in to switch this on and off. Although you are probably better off trying to lightmap the level in Lightbulb / YAL or some other package, as Decorator was really intended to handle lightmapped levels (even the .X import was purely for merging two .X files exported from LightWave / Max).

I'll put it in for the next version as a (light) switch although it's not worth doing an entire version simply for this. When I upload it, I'll post here to let you know.

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#8]
I have a problem here, i'm a total newb to this stuff, so it's no wonder, please have patience with me ;-) I made a model in maplet and exported it to b3d, then loaded it into decorator, but when i saved it out, blitz3d is not able to read the exported .b3d from decorator. I basically stretched out the texture (uv coords) so it's possible it has some bogus value because I didn't know how to use it correctly. When I try to load it in blitz, blitz (or windows) gives me a memory access violation. Any clues here? Is there acceptable uv coords that maybe i screwed up? BTW, when I reload the resaved model, decorator loads it up fine, but loadmesh in blitz doesn't.

Keith

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#9]
Decorator uses LoadMesh to load the mesh itself! Try loading other .B3D files (perhaps a straight Maplet export) and see if they load.

What version of Blitz3D are you using?

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#10]
Using version 1.83 and yes, I can load a .b3d file exported straight from maplet.

Keith

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#11]
Hmmm, can you e-mail me the maplet exported and decorator exported .B3D files and the code you use to load it so I can test it here. I've never had a problem loading anything Decorator has turned out, but there's always a first time!

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#12]
I accidentally saved over that one, i'm going to try again, and let you know if the next one messes up like that. If it does i'll send both versions to you, if not, then I don't know what the deal is.

Keith

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#13]
Okay it did it again, i'm going to email the whole project to you, it's not very big at all. I'll give more details in the email.

Keith

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#14]
Ok got it...

[edit]

I tried it and both files load fine from the code you supplied.

Perhaps your installation of Blitz / Drivers / DirectX is corrupted in some way?