BSP Factory Finished !!!

Community Forums/Developer Stations/BSP Factory Finished !!!

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#1]
More info here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=4211

Is a member of Binary People around there? I would like to talk to you for publishing this, if you're interested.

Here's an example map: www.galeon.com/jedive/storage/bsp_example.zip

And here a screenshot of the program:

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#2]
hmm to download the file, right click on the link and choose "Save Link Target As..." or whatever it is in the english version of internet explorer.

Qcat(Posted 2003) [#3]
This program will be of gr8 help to those wishing to make FPS games, nice screen especially when you look @ the details

Qcat

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#4]
Looks interesting. Are you using YAL or your own lightmapper?

Also, are the UV coordinates generated by the user, BSP Factory, or are they retained from the BSP you import?

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#5]
I am using YAL. The position, color, and brightness of the lights is loaded from the BSP, but all the rest is calculated by YAL.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#6]
I believe we've discussed this before but refresh my memory. What exactly does this app do? Your worklog indicates that the app converts Half-Life BSP to b3d file format. Is that all it does? Because that means it isn't preserving any sort of visibility/culling data (the main point of BSP maps.)

Fingers crossed that I've misunderstood and you actually create license-clean BSP maps...

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#7]
As you say, visibility data is not preserved in the B3D. I am waiting for the vis addon in the B3D format, which is supposed to come with Maplet2, to see what's the best way to add the vis data to the B3D.

Well, the main point is not using BSP because of its culling, is using Quark (or Valve's Hammer, but you have to pay a license) to make maps, which is a very capable map editor, and much better than many other modelling tools when we are talking about level editing. I've heard from you that you use Wings3D for level editing and then LightBulb for lightmapping... Wings3D does not have occlusion, also. Consider this the same, but allows to use Quark, which for me is better for this task than Wings3D (though I have to say that i like Wings too, but not for level editing).

Sir Felgar(Posted 2003) [#8]
Looks great - I'm definitely interested!

I'm interested in this for the very reason you already explained - because it allows me to use Quark or VHE to build my maps. At the moment there is no easy route from these editors to b3d. I've tried converting .map files but you can't export textures or lights, so if this app can do that - I'll buy it!

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#9]
Sounds like a cool app! But, I remmember when I downloaded Quark a while back that I had to choose id's bsp compiler and other id tools to be able to generate a level to bsp.

For Half-life, isn't this the same? Where you use these id tools or valve tools to generate the level into a bsp formated level? I thought that there is where this license stuff creeps in on ya. If you are using these tools to generate BSP, simply converting from BSP to B3D doesn't null and void the license stuff.

Unless I'm totally miss understanding what you are saying. Are you generating a Quark level to a ".map" format in in which you can then convert to B3D? Or does Quark itself have it's own BSP compiler built into it with the rest of the open source code? If either of those two, then I would feel less dodgy if I were to purchase your application.

Just trying to understand... thanks :)

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#10]
Or does Quark itself have it's own BSP compiler built into it with the rest of the open source code?
There's a Half-Life BSP compiler called ZHLT (Zonerīs Half-Life Tools) which works perfectly with Quark and which has been released under the terms of the GNU/GPL license.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#11]
So.. any chance of a save-disabled demo soon?

Pepsi(Posted 2003) [#12]
Thats cool Jedive... definetly missed ZHLT. Thanks for the info.

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#13]
So.. any chance of a save-disabled demo soon?
Of course. I have finished the full version, so give me a few days to finish the docs and write a save-disabled demo ;)

Caff(Posted 2003) [#14]
Yes, it's here... I'll start making some test levels to see how good it is (evil grin) :)

Jed - I remember asking you about this ages ago, I thought you'd given up on it. I'm still very much interested though. Seeing as these tools are free, I can see a big potential for this tool for map-makers out there who are looking for a cheap yet powerful way of building 3d levels.

I would recommend making a complete tutorial of how to make levels from scratch in Hammer and then compiling to BSP using ZHLT. If you include this with the demo I'm sure you'll get a fair few sales once people see the potential :)

As for vis data, I am not bothered. Vis data in b3d format is probably a long way off still, so I'm happy to work-around the issue until that time.

If the demo works, then I'llbe buying :)

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#15]
I don't think you can use Hammer even if you use ZHLT, unless you pay the license. You can use Quark though, I'm positive of that.

Sir Felgar(Posted 2003) [#16]
Regarding using Hammer (or any other software that requires licensing ) to produce levels for a commercial game...

If your level is converted to a b3d how would anyone be able to tell where is was originally created? I'm assuming there's nothing in the b3d file that would refer to where the bsp was created? Perhaps there is?

Even if there is no way to tell, it's still not morally right though, and I'm not advocating using Hammer to produce levels without a license, I'm just curious!

It's not an issue for me anyway, as my project is freeware. And as Sybixsus says, there's always Quark!

Any progress on the publishing front Jedive?

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#17]
If your level is converted to a b3d how would anyone be able to tell where is was originally created?
They will never know
Any progress on the publishing front Jedive?
Yes, I will be signing a publishing contract with Binary People later today. I can't give more info yet.

Caff(Posted 2003) [#18]
By the way, I think you need to rename the button 'Export BSP' to 'Export B3D' :)

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#19]
I have named it 'Export BSP' because you export the BSP file to another format... by now only B3D, but maybe i would add more formats later.

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#20]
I have just uploaded a new example level. The new demo is here: http://www.galeon.com/jedive/storage/bsp_example2.zip

And here is a screen of the new level. Thanks to Caff for this ;) :

biablo(Posted 2003) [#21]
Why should we convert b3d to bsp?
(I have never used quark and ZHLT.)

1. make a map with quark
2. compile the map to a bsp with ZHLT
3. we have "loadbsp" command in blitz.
-bsp format has occlusion info for better frame rate-

what's the problem?
can't quark do light map calculation?

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#22]
Blitz's LoadBSP command only loads Quake3 BSPs. Quake3 BSPs can only be compiled with Id's compiler. Id's compiler has a license which costs a few thousands of dollars ;)

ZHLT is free software.

Convinced? ;)

Caff(Posted 2003) [#23]
Come on, release the demo! Sorry, getting impatient :'D

Caff(Posted 2003) [#24]
[bump] Where's the demo, Jedive? Binary People? Come on I want to get hold of this!

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#25]
Yeah,

Definately agree, I would love to see a demo of this product.

IPete2.

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#26]
Please be patient, people. Beeps is working hard to have the webpage + demo as soon as possible. The purchase page will come shortly after ;)