What CSG Level Builders?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/What CSG Level Builders?

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#1]
Apart from CShop, are there any other CSG level editors that can be used with Blitz? Occlusion isn't an issue, but lightmapping is. I don't mind paying for it, and I don't mind paying for a convertor. Though export to 3dsMax for tweaking would be nice ;)

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#2]
quill 3d has lightmaps, csg, and occlusion. It also asks you to put the cd in the drive every time you want to run the program (at least it did)

Apparently you can now import 3d objects created in max and they get turned into geometry that you can do csg with. Haven't tried this myself though so can't say how good it is.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#3]
I've dabbled with Quill. I really didn't care for the interface. The price is reasonable, but I really hate the copy protection scheme. I might go back and give it another go if I can't come up with something better.

Not to point too fine a point it, what I'm looking for is CShop 3 without the constant crashes. I don't know what it doesn't like about my computer ( videocard maybe ) but it's unusable as it stands, and it's soooooooooo annoying because in terms of functionality it's perfect.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#4]
Two editors I'm waiting on are Alien Editor and Maplet2. I've not heard anything about the former in a while and the last thing I heard about the latter is that is was postponed so both are probably going to be a while before release.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2003) [#5]
I still say

Go For Quill3D

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#6]
The interface for the map builder is very worldcraft like. The actual 3d edito IMO isn't so good. As for the copy protextion scheme... the only version of quill I have is one of the later betas so it doesn't have any copy protection :)

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#7]
That's reall interesting, because most people report the program to be really stable. What are your system specs?

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#8]
I also have bad stabiblity problems..... Usually they are unrepeatable.

my specs are :

Win XP, P4 1.8 Ghz, 512 mb ram, Nvidia GeForce 2 MX/MX 400 with detonator 2.3.1.1 .

I might buy it if it goes stable.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#9]
I've reported the bugs ( if you can call it reporting ) on your forum on the DBPro board, but again, my system specs are :

Athlon 2700+, 1Gb DDR333, Radeon 9700 Pro, Windows XP Pro SP1.

I'll go a stage further than Bot Builder, and say I would definitely buy it if the stability issues could be addressed. But as I said on a thread somewhere this evening, the crashes are so random and cannot be repeated, that I'm inclined to wonder if it's actually bugs in your code or whether it's actually a problem with the language or libraries you used to write CShop.

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#10]
I've had carving bugs that are very disturbing. I made a box, and then flipped over a wedge in such a way that it creates ramps when you carve somthing, and I carved the left,right and front sides until I came to the back on which it froze, apparently completing the operation, but with one vertex of a triangle extremly far away. I've also had multiple crashes.

karmacomposer(Posted 2003) [#11]
Although I have not used Cartography shop extensively, I bought it, and received version 3.02 as of today.

It is totally stable on my system. No problems no matter what I try to do.

Athalon XP 2700+, Nvidia GeForce 3 TI 4200 (128 MB DDR), 1 GB DDR RAM, 100GB HD. Windows XP Pro with all updates.

Try removing drivers and updating all drivers and windows, such as security updates, etc). If it runs really well with nearly all drivers removed, then it is a driver issue. It should be easy to hone in on the corrupted driver if that is what it is (use msconfig utility). Otherwise, make sure no conflicts exist in your hardware and that you are not using buggy software or OS.

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#12]
I would say Quill3D every time, it imports any mesh and lets you lightmap them as usual, you can also import "entities" which are say for instance the models of your baddies, you can then assign propeties to them which you can read in via the supplied code. Quill3D handles all occlusion for you which is VITAL for any game - without occlusion a map editor is totally useless for use in a game.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#13]
Well I wouldn't say "vital" considering I've yet to develop a game where occlusion was necessary, but occlusion culling is certainly very useful for many games.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#14]
Apparently BlitzPlus executables don't like my computer. Nothing I've downloaded written in BlitzPlus will run for 5 mins without crashing. So it's not Halo's fault.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#15]
Don't forget Scream3D
http://www.scream3d.de/
There's even a free Version.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#16]
Yeah, I like the look of Scream3d, but I don't think my German is good enough so I'll have to wait for the English translation.

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#17]
And BSP Factory http://www.blitzbasic.com/bbs/posts.php?topic=24294

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#18]
I decided to buy Cartography Shop anyway. It's a great piece of software, and I'm sure Mark/Halo will be able to fix the ( seemingly random ) crashes sooner or later.