Does such a program exist?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Does such a program exist?

Russell(Posted 2003) [#1]
I may be pipe dreaming here, but I seem to remember that there was a shareware\freeware program out there that allowed you to create 3d geometry but selecting two (or more) pictures of an object taken from different perspectives (say, the front and the side) and placing the points on one picture and then 'adjusting' them on the other. It would be a little more involved than that, of course (you'd have to tell the program the angle that the pictures were from, etc), but that was basically what it was.

Or it's possible that I just thought I saw it somewhere...

Anyway, does any one know of such a program?

Russell

p.s. I know most full 3d programs have the ability to do this (I use Realsoft 3D 4.2), manually, but I was hoping that there was maybe a program out there that could handle most of the tediousness of the process.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#2]
Yup, those programs do exist... here's one:

http://www.photomodeler.com/

http://www.photomodeler.com/pmpro02.html

Russell(Posted 2003) [#3]
Yeah, I did happen to come across that one after I posted, but at $895US it's a little too much (both in price and features). From their website, however, I did get another idea: dot projection slides! I could easily create my own slides using photoshop or whatever and project them onto the subject, then use CorelDraw's CorelTrace program to turn the side profile lines (instead of dots) into vector lines and export as hi-res dxf (or Adobe Illustrator if I had the AI plug-in for Realsoft 3D) then build a Nurbs mesh surface from the lines. A bit more steps than I was hoping for, but it would eliminate human drawing of lines over a photograph (which would introduce numerous errors into the data).

I'll give it a shot. :)

Russell

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#4]
Oh bollocks. They used to have a freeware prog, "photomodeler lite" but they've discontinued it. Might be worth seeing if you can track it down somewhere.

Russell(Posted 2003) [#5]
Good news! After a little bit of searching, I found it here:
ftp://ftp.nsk.su/.3/windows/graphics/pmlt31a.zip

Man, let me tell you...that program disappeared off the face of the earth once EOS Systems discontinued support (mainly because all the sites that had it just linked to Eos's website). Anyway, I'm downloading it now :)

Later,
Russell

EOF(Posted 2003) [#6]
Nice find Russell. This came on a magazine cover disc way back when. Not a bad little tool to have.

Russell(Posted 2003) [#7]
I've been playing around a little bit with it, and it seems pretty powerful! And the price is nice... I'm hoping that I'll be able to draw some lines on my face and take several pictures (from different angles, of course) and see what it can do...

Later,
Russell

p.s. Has anyone here used Morphman 4 from Stoik Imaging? Holy ***t! This is by far the coolest and most powerful morphing program I've ever used (and I've used most of them). It does distortion (make your nose as big as your face, etc - animated\still), still to still morphing (the traditional Elvis into Elton John morph), video to video morphing (think Michael Jackson's "Black and White" video), layers (morph the eyes, but nothing else, etc) and propagation (let the program 'guess' where the nose is in the next frame, etc). Very powerful and comes with a better-than-simple video editor 'VideoMan'. Check it out at www.stoik.com . It's $99 and worth every single penny.

p.p.s. If you're looking for a really good FREE morpher that doesn't have the more advanced features (like video to video morphing, layers, etc), try WinMorph.