Character FX

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Character FX

David819(Posted 2003) [#1]
hi

i've been using character fx to make animation for my FPS game but am having some problems cause only low to medium poly models will load into it and i'm using 3d canvas to make my models and can't find a tutorial to make low poly models for 3d canvas v3.3. I was wandering if you could help either by a tutorial for 3d canvas or if you could tell me a free modeling program that is easy to use.
please help.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
So the problem is with 3D Canvas, not with CharacterFX. Just clarifying since you titled the thread "CharacterFX."

Hopefully someone more familiar with 3D Canvas specifically can pipe up with some good tutorials. That said, just about any tutorial done in any software will have useful information; although the specific buttons will be different, the general technique of low-pol modeling is the same no matter what software you use.

As for other free modeling tools, try reading other threads in this forum. I'm sure I've listed all the usual suspects several times: Wings3D, Blender, anim8or, OpenFX, etc.

RamPackWobble(Posted 2003) [#3]
I see you are using v3.3 - it is now upto v6.0.1.1 :)

I believe that low poly modeling was improved round about v4.3 so why not try the newer versions ? (as you already own canvas I think the upgrades are free ...)

Have a look at http://www.amabilis.com/whatsnew.htm for all latest improvements

Ethan3850(Posted 2003) [#4]
The upgrades free if u purchased after 18/06/2002. The improvement's r obvious in v6 above other versions (it doesn't crash wen u hav a lot of layers now 4 1 thing and there is also significant improvements in support for the DirectX format.)

There is a tutorial 4 producing low poly models 4 the Dark Side on the 3d Canvas site - just use that and then import it in 2 Character FX 2 do the animation if u want (but in truth any tutorial will do once u know where the commands r in 3d Canvas). Note - if ur not doing boned animation u don't need 2 use Character FX because Blitz can read the Direct X hiarchical animation format that 3d Canvas can save in.

David819(Posted 2003) [#5]
Thanks