Milkshape Problems

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Milkshape Problems

PaulJG(Posted 2003) [#1]
I'm getting myself in a stompy mood over this, can anyone shed any light ?.

Just playing around with the demo of Milkshape3D. I can create my shapes ok with minimal colours on each object.

I go to save it - either in b3d format or 3ds, load it up in blitz3d, and its missing its colours.

Load the same shape into anim8or, and again no colour !.

But, load it back into milkshape, and there it is with colour !!!. :(

I'm not using textures or anything, just basic colouring. So what am I doing wrong ?.

Thanks Paul.
(stomping around getting angry)

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
Could you be more specific than "just basic colouring." What exactly are you doing in Milkshape to apply the color? Applying a colored material should work in all tools; anything else is Milkshape specific.

PaulJG(Posted 2003) [#3]
k, I'll go through it as I'm doing it:

Materials tab, NEW, define a colour with the AMBIENT button, hit the ASSIGN button.

That's all I'm doing, just adding colour to my objects. Will save in & out of milkshape - but not into other proggies. Just wondering that as this the DEMO version, perhaps it doesnt take this info with it ?.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#4]
I'm not 100% sure (ie. don't be mad at me if this doesn't work) but I think your problem is that you modify the ambient color. A material's color property is really defined by it diffuse color, not ambient. Try defining color with the DIFFUSE button.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#5]
Joe is right, you want to use the diffuse colour. Ambient as far as I'm aware doesn't export and the specular is always white in blitz... I could be wrong though

PaulJG(Posted 2003) [#6]
That was it.. feeling very sheepish at the mo. ;)

Perhaps while on the subject of Milkshape, I could pick your brains on a few other things that I dont quite understand ?.

When selecting objects, I usally get more than the one I wanted - is there a way of deselecting ?. I've tried all the usual keyboard shortcuts, but it doesnt seem to do the job. (control, shift, etc..)

Lastly.. I havent yet found the boolean operations ?. I trust MS has these somewhere ?. (for taking one shape away from another)

And as for the texturing.. best I find an easy to understand tutorial site. ;)

Anyways, thanks for the above help. I was trying to find a decent/cheap editor that can texture and animate. Tried all the recommendations on other threads - wings is nice, but cant texture.

Truespace is just too strange !.
Draw3d - is too basic.
Amapi - take too long to learn.

oh well.. guess I'll keep on with MS.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#7]
Hold shift and right-click to deselect. I'm guessing you've only tried left-clicking.

Milkshape does not have boolean operations. It's just as well really; even when booleans are available (eg. in 3D Studio Max) I prefer not to use them because they tend to create all sorts of errors and fugly polygons. If you want to create a hole in an object just cut polygons and arrange faces in the shape of the hole and then extrude the shape down.

That Wings can't texture isn't a huge deal actually. I do most of my texturing in Ultimate Unwrap, even if the tool I used for modeling has texturing tools. Similarly I use another tool, CharacterFX, for animation. The irony is that I do use Milkshape a lot but NOT for modeling, texturing, or animation. I rig my characters in Milkshape (ie. create a skeleton and attach vertices) to export to CharacterFX via Milkshape ASCII.

big10p(Posted 2003) [#8]
Holy cow. When I read these posts about the huge range of apps I'm gonna have to try/buy if I ever want to do my own 3D animated models, it kind of puts me off. :(

So far I've tinkered with TrueSpace but have absolutely no idea how to use it (or any modeller) - I couldn't even do a cube! I think I'll put that down to trueSpace being 'strange', though. :)

I think I'll have to give MilkShape a go at some point. Is it easier to use than TS?

<sigh> I wonder if I'll ever be able to build/texture/animate my own 3D stuff...

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#9]
You don't have to get a huge range of apps but it is generally recommended. Milkshape for example is technically an all in one solution for creating low pol characters. However it isn't really ideal for any task, it is just servicable at all tasks. If you want an ideally suited tool for every task you will need to pick up several different tools. Or purchase an expensive tool like 3D Studio Max or Maya; there's a reason those tools cost more, they're good at everything.

As for needing to try various tools, that is always how it is no matter what you are doing. I assume you tried various game dev systems before purchasing Blitz.

big10p(Posted 2003) [#10]
Joe, you're right. I'm just feeling too lazy/impatient at the mo' to learn to use new apps before I can start creating stuff. After 20 years of programming, on-and-off, there's still so much to do and learn - when will it ever end? Well, never probably. :)

Anyway, I think I'll start by giving Milkshape a go soon.

BTW, I actually didn't try any other game dev systems before getting B3D. I bought it solely on someone's recommendation - I didn't even try the demo version. Again, that's prolly just me being lazy. :)