Bryce

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Bryce

dirkduck(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hey everyone. I don't know much of anything about 3D modeling and whatnot, so ive got a couple questions. Someone I know is learning to use Bryce for modeling. I think Bryce is mainly for landscapes and such, but I tried an image search, and it looks like it can be used as a fairly generic modeler, would that be correct? Second, can it handle low-poly modeling for realtime games, or is it a "high-poly only" modeler? Thanks

mearrin69(Posted 2003) [#2]
On your first question the answer is yes, Bryce is quite powerful as a modeler - though, to me, it seems a little difficult to use. I remember when I first got it and started looking through the manual being surprised by the stuff in there - they even made their little interface icons in the app.

On your second question I'm not really sure it's great for low-poly stuff because I've never looked into the vertex/polygon manipulation stuff. I know it's got good boolean operators, etc. but I just don't know about low-poly tools (and I have no idea where the manual is or I'd look it up for you).

It's funny, though: I've got 3ds max 3.1, trueSpace 6.5, Bryce, Poser, and some other stuff (heh, I work in the industry and often get free copies of this stuff) but I've been using Anim8or, which is free. Sometimes all that extra stuff and those fancy features just get in my way - but I'm not that much of an artist anyway.
M

dirkduck(Posted 2003) [#3]
Hey, thanks for the info!

inneractive(Posted 2003) [#4]
Bryce 5 is great for low poly terrain meshes. You can do the terrain in Bryce or import a heightmap (easier to me) and then export a mesh. During export you can dynamically reduce the poly count (Adaptive Triangulation is best) with a slider.

It does have primitives and metaballs and people model with it, but I suspect it is much harder to model with than some free modeling programs you could get.

Garion(Posted 2003) [#5]
Yup, Bryce is great for Landscapes of all kinds, it is what it was designed for 8)

I have used Bryce since Version 2 to create backgrounds etc, but I would have to say that as a General Purpose Modler its really not that good.

There are a few good free modlers out there, WIngs3d at www.wings3d.com is good.

There is also MIlkshape 3D which costs 20 USD ish and it has a great following.

Another source of free General Purpose modlers are the cover disks on magazines. Recently in the UK, we have had Truespace 3.2, Amapi 3d Ver 5.15W on these disks.

I use a mixture of all my apps to model tho., WIngs and Milkshape for Low Poly games stuff, Truspace 6.5, for more poly intensive stuff, Poser 4 for character stuff and Bryce for landscapes.

Earlier versions of All of these software packages have been given away free on magazines over the years, so you should be able to pick em up thru back issues etc.

Cheers

garion
from Scotland

dirkduck(Posted 2003) [#6]
Thanks for the reply's everyone. I'll be sure to tell my friend about some of the other programs is Bryce doesn't work out.