Woo-hoo! Unreal II-esque Lightmaps!

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Woo-hoo! Unreal II-esque Lightmaps!

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#1]
These are going to look great with tons of pipes and details dripping from the walls. Casting shadows off the detail meshes takes a while to calculate, but the results are worth a high-quality compile.

Thanks again to Ed for pushing me to go in the UT2003 direction.

Uncle(Posted 2003) [#2]
Looking really impressive. Can't wait for CShop 3!

Cheers,

Unc

*(Posted 2003) [#3]
I just pointed ya in the right direction, your the one who done the code :)

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#4]
It took two minutes to calculate a scene somewhat higher-poly than that, on the highest-res setting.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#5]
Looks nice josh. Got coloured lights in yet?

Does cshop support invisible meshes. Those pipes would need a bounding triangle collision mesh to stop you from getting stuck in the middle of them.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#6]
I'd do this by texturing an object with a texture that is all your mask color, and making it an entity like "func_hit" (in Quake). It would be invisible, but wouldn't get deleted in the export, like caulked surfaces usually do.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#7]
Here are some lighting effects showing transparency and masked shadows, respectively:

Magitta(Posted 2003) [#8]
OH MY GOD!!! This looks awesome!!
O_O
Would like to see a demo level soon please..

Mathieu A(Posted 2003) [#9]
WOW!!! --long silence--

Awesome!!

When it comes out halo?

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#10]
Looks really good... not a lot more to say really! :)

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#11]
Cheers Halo. Your map editor will totally ROCK !!!

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#12]
well done.

Ice9(Posted 2003) [#13]
some of the impressive lightmaps in UT2k3 are baked textures
from third party apps.

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#14]
Very good! The stained glass scene is unbelievable. if it weren't for the repeating brick texture, and perfect corners, it could be a photo, and a very picturesque photo at that. Well, I'm not really familiar with cshop, although I downloaded the cshop 2 demo. And I didn't really like it. I mean, it was obviosly a powerful program, but I didn't have the patience to figure out how to use it. Yet with such a good lightmapper, it would probably reason enough to try it out again. One of my problems is probably that I got used to maplet, so I'm expecting a similar system while cshop uses a completly different system.

Anyway, I was going to say that it looks great, and if it can load .cob Truespace 3 files, I'll buy.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#15]
The stained glass scene is unbelievable. if it weren't for the repeating brick texture, and perfect corners, it could be a photo
And maybe the floating cube in the middle of the room?! :)

It is good though!

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#16]
The .x exporter is now working, without materials. .b3d follows about the same rules, so a b3d exporter won't be hard to write after this.

I have a pretty good idea of what the help docs are going to be, and a have a ton of prefabs made, so I guess the exporters are the only real task left.

Just a slight improvement over CS2, don't you think?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#17]
Holy shirt, that looks great!

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#18]
Respect. Looks great as always.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#19]
"Holy shirt, that looks great! "

damn right!!

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#20]
And maybe the floating cube in the middle of the room?! :)

heh. looks like I kinda over looked the cube.....
still. The last stained glass shot looks even better, as it lacks the cube.