Kaydara Motion builder 4.04

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Kaydara Motion builder 4.04

Jager(Posted 2003) [#1]
Did anyone notice this was being given away FREE (1 year licence). It finished on the 1st of July, the day I read the notice on Polycount. luckily I was in time.

The problem is trying to work out how to use it!????? Like a mule with a spinning wheel .. or should that be, a monkey with a gun?

Anyone use this? how does it compare with rest?

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#2]
I thought it was a contest where you could win a 1 year license?

Garion(Posted 2003) [#3]
AshMantle (2003-07-03 21:42:11)

I thought it was a contest where you could win a 1 year license?

Nope, Its Free years License that includes commercial use 8)

Cheers

garion
from Scotland

FoX(Posted 2003) [#4]
>>>The problem is trying to work out how to use it!????? Like a mule with a spinning wheel .. or should that be, a monkey with a gun?

You could watch the free step by step video tutorials on 3dbuzz.com
They might help you out ?

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#5]
I just bought a copy on DIGIT #62
Waiting for the registration e-mail to arrive...

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#6]
This offer is available only thru authorized Kaydara partners and cannot be ordered directly from Kaydara authorized Resellers. This MOTIONBUILDER Personal Edition is licensed for personal use and cannot be installed and used in productions by Corporations or/and Studios. Users, on an individual basis, can freely use the software without any limitations for personal projects/productions, or as freelancers (work for hire). You cannot acquire and use this Personal Learning Edition for any work performed as an employee of a Corporation, as this would result in an illegal use of the Personal Learning Edition.

Does that mean that if I use this on MY project - even a commercial game - that it's okay? I'm not a corporation. What if it's me and another guy working on the game, but only I use the software? What constitutes a 'Studio/Corporation'?

AAAARGH, bloody jargon!

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#7]
crap, so i missed out, i also thought it was a competition to win it.

Garion(Posted 2003) [#8]
Yes yoo can use it on yer own project, even if its commecial.

8)

garion
from Scotland

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#9]
Nothing personal Garion but I don't trust the advice of someone who uses words like "yoo." Skitchy, the specific text you posted (maybe there is more specific license information somewhere) is pretty vague. You should probably try contacting them directly to ask your question. I'm sure they have a sales email address you can send your question to.

Besides your concerns I also wonder what constitutes a "personal production."

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#10]
Yes j, you're right about mailing them. Thing is, I can't even find a demo version of the program (just a bunch of videos), so I'd have to pay for the $100 version anyway just to try it out. Then it only has a 1 year (slightly dodgy) license. And then if I DO like it the 'real' version costs thousands.

If only I'd heard about it sooner - never mind :)

Garion(Posted 2003) [#11]
Yes yoo can use it on yer own project, even if its commecial

Having read the License and checking with the Magazine and kaydora themselves I am satisfied that YOO can indeed use this for your own PROFESSIONAL COMMERCIAL USE.

On page six of the magazinr it states 'This special version includes a full one-year liceense for commercial work for individuals'

The Caveat is that Yoo cannot produce commercial work as part of a corporation'.

So the peeps at Pixar can't yoos it but yoo can.

I personaly have no problems with people that use words such as 'YOO', I do have a problem with peeps that say 'This Sux' or 'that Sux'.

But I dont let it bother me too much.

If yoo did not mean to offend, why comment on it in the first place? There really was no need and you could have started your post at the word 'Skitchy' 8)

Garion
from Scotland
AkA
Dr Gary Galbraith Ph.D ( plus few more yoo know)
Retired Software Engineer, Lecturer Computing and IT Consultant.
Over 20 years Xp in this lunatic business
Father of Three lovely girls, One of whom is a Linguist, that likes to use the word 'yoo' the more the merrier.

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#12]
Thanks Garion :)
I'm still a little unclear on one specific point though. If there is more than ONE person working on a project, can it still be defined as a 'personal' project. I'm not saying that 2 people will be using Kaydara, but there is still a 'team' working on the game, however small and independant that team may be.

It doesn't really matter for me personally ATM, but I like to plan ahead (I'm going to need human characters eventually). This looks like it could be a sound investment at $100 - but a bit of a pricey one at $3000!

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#13]
Yes yoo can use it on yer own project, even if its commecial

Having read the License and checking with the Magazine and kaydora themselves I am satisfied that YOO can indeed use this for your own PROFESSIONAL COMMERCIAL USE.

On page six of the magazinr it states 'This special version includes a full one-year liceense for commercial work for individuals'

I've read the license too, and I'm considerably less convinced than you.

Skitchy : You really need to email Kaydara and get it in writing. Then if they change their mind, you can't get into any trouble.

Also, it's not $3500 at all. From August you'll be able to upgrade to a full version for $200 total.

IE: If you pay $100 now, another $100. If you got it for free, another $200. You don't get free updates for life, but it's a lifetime license for the current version. Sweet deal.

Garion(Posted 2003) [#14]
Just pop an email in the Electronic postbox Skitchy, just to make sure. 8)

Its always best to have the word from the people that produce the software as evidence anyway, just in case.

I myself am satisfied that myself and my wife can both use the software, only not at the same time 8) We are not a corporation, but we do commercial work (when we can get it 8))

Cheers
Garion
from Scotland

inneractive(Posted 2003) [#15]
-->What constitutes a 'Studio/Corporation'

note: This is all based on US laws.

Hmm, I would guess a studio would have to at least be registered as an Limited Liability Company (LLC) and to register as a Corporation costs more than MotionBuilder PE itself.

The way I see it, if you were an LLC or Corporation it would be no biggie to purchase the software since it would be a tax rightoff anyway.

If you are planning to make money from any product you should at least be registered as a Sole Proprietor, General Partnership, or limited Liability Partnership. Even registered as these you would be able to write off equipment and software you purchased on your taxes. My guess is that is why they prefer registered entities purchase their product. If you are registered as any of these you should probably email Kaydara.

I'm surpised its availabilty wasn't posted in this forum earlier since it was posted at BlitzCoder quite a while ago. I should have dropped by and checked...

MadJack(Posted 2003) [#16]
On a slightly different tack, has anyone managed to export any of their animations from Mot to Blitz3d?
And if so, how did you do it?

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#17]
It goes back and forth between whatever package you usually use. So you can export in exactly the same way you always do.

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2003) [#18]
I can`t find the free videos - where are they?