Importing Alpha Information with Model

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Importing Alpha Information with Model

Spot(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hello, I am new to Blitz and as such new to these forums.

For a couple of days I have been experimenting with importing graphics, and other things into blitz.

Now I have been trying to import alpha information with my .3ds and .x models. Unfortunately the objects that are supposed to be alpha'ed are not. I have tried exporting using both Cinema 4D XL R7 and 3D Studio Max. I have also tried both transparency within the program, and an alpha texture map, neither worked.

I am saving the texture and the alpha to two different .jpg files.

What am I doing wrong. I am just loading the mesh with the loadmesh command. The textures do show up on the model, and I know that the file name lengths are correct.

Any suggestions?

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
For starters, the alpha information must be saved along with the color in a single texture image. You can use TGA or PNG file format to do this.

Spot(Posted 2003) [#3]
Allright,

I tried using one alpha texture in .TGA format. It works fine in 3D Studio MAX but when inside the engine, it does not change anything... Any other suggestions?

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#4]
The easiest way is to give the textures that should use the alpha channel a special keyword, or saving them in another format than the rest of the textures. You can then use TextureFilter to load them with alpha channels automatically.

Like so:
; This will load all textures with "ALPHA" in 
; their filename, with the alpha channel intact.
TextureFilter "ALPHA",1+2+8

; This will load all textures with the ".tga" file
; extension, with the alpha channel intact.
TextureFilter ".tga",1+2+8
That should do the trick,
Fredborg

Spot(Posted 2003) [#5]
Thank you thank you thank you... It worked! These things should be more obvious though...