b3d_rad - a radiosity processing/lightmapping solution for Blitz3D

Community Forums/Developer Stations/b3d_rad - a radiosity processing/lightmapping solution for Blitz3D

simonh(Posted 2003) [#1]
Not really a tool this - but just a set of functions in Blitz that allow you to easily use another tool - FSRad - with Blitz. FSRad is a freeware radiosity processor/lightmap generator that allows you to produce convincing lightmaps such as these:

The famous cornell box:

A room I created in Maplet:

Read the readme for instructions on how to use b3d_rad. FSRad must be downloaded separately.

Download b3d_rad here.

elias_t(Posted 2003) [#2]
HEY ! Thanks alot for this ! :)

I also made some experiments for radiosity in my Phosphore editor using the hemicubes method and the results are very good too. :)

Bye.

simonh(Posted 2003) [#3]
Sounds interesting elias_t - got any screenshots?

V0.11 now uploaded - fixed a bug whereby meshes with multiple surfaces in Blitz wouldn't be exported properly.

simonh(Posted 2003) [#4]
Also note that when exporting scenes, if they consist of over 200 polys, you'll need to increase the 'max polygons per node' value in FSRad accordingly otherwise the scene won't be processed properly.

simonh(Posted 2003) [#5]
Here a screenshot of the test.b3d level included with Maplet, but with added radiosity :)

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#6]
Very nice work!

I notice that you seem to be using only one texture (ie. everything is made out of brick) and this texture is applied at runtime in the demo. Do you have plans for supporting multiple textures (so that the walls could be made of brick and the railings out of wood for example)? If so, this texture info should be in the .b3d file so that the whole thing loads automatically.

Just a thought. :)

simonh(Posted 2003) [#7]
Multiple textures are supported by the .oct format, although my load/import function doesn't make use of this yet. Maybe in a future version.

As for converting to .b3d - well, it's possible, but again, maybe in a future version.

The tool does what I want it do for now though, so I can't make any guarantees about updates.

I would love to add support for FSRad's .ent format though - this allows for area lights and differing amounts of reflectivity - meaning you can create some even nicer looking scenes. Can't figure out the format at the moment though :(

elias_t(Posted 2003) [#8]
Hi again Simon.

Thanks for the new update :)

Here are my first results.
I am working on speed optimizations rigth now...

Bye.

simonh(Posted 2003) [#9]
Nice work!

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#10]
So how exactly does one take a level into FRad for lightmapping? FRad doesn't seem to have any documentation and it isn't obvious (eg. how do you place lights?)

EDIT: Dumb question. I thought b3d_rad was only for importing lightmapped scenes from FRad. I didn't notice there is also functionality to save .oct files from Blitz.

simonh(Posted 2003) [#11]
For documentation on FSRad, click the help button at the bottom. It explains a bit about radiosity and also what all the various options do.