Radiosity Lightmaps

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Radiosity Lightmaps

simonh(Posted 2003) [#1]
Anyone know of any tools that can be used to output radiosity lightmaps, much in the same way that Maplet outputs standard lightmaps for levels?

sswift(Posted 2003) [#2]
There is a plugin for Max called Luminaire. I'm pretty sure it's free. And that it can bake radiosity lightmaps as long as you already have non-overlapping coordinates.

elias_t(Posted 2003) [#3]
Fsrad can do this and it is free to use.
www.fluidstudios.com/fsrad.html

But you have to figure out the input and output format it is using. And they are not giving much info about this...

simonh(Posted 2003) [#4]
Yeah, I experimented with that program a while back and got as far as writing an importer for Blitz (colours are inverted here though):

But sadly I could never get the exporter working, so could never produce lightmaps for my own scenes! Perhaps I'll have another crack at it.

simonh(Posted 2003) [#5]
Woohoo! Finally got the .oct exporter working so I can now lightmap my own scenes.

Here's a scene from B3D which was created in Maplet, and then lightmapped in FSRad.

It's a bit dark, but I'm still playing around with the various option, trying to get the best results.

The red dot at the top is the light source.

elias_t(Posted 2003) [#6]
Wow impressive !

You wrote the exporter by studying the source or have you found the file format specs ?

simonh(Posted 2003) [#7]
I studied the source, which I must admit was quite confusing at times. I still can't get my head around the .ent file format.

Anyway I'll release the source code to all this soon...