Wings3D Exporting

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Wings3D Exporting

simonh(Posted 2003) [#1]
Having trouble correctly exporting .3ds files from Wings - the normal data appears to get messed up. Does anyone know if that's what usually happens or is it just something I'm doing wrong?

Here's is a model in Wings with normal data correct, and then exported to .3ds in Blitz, with normal data messed up.

Wings:

Blitz3D:

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
Smoothing groups (ie. the normals data you are referring to) are not exported. Not much more to say; you can use other tools like Ultimate Unwrap to fine tune stuff like smoothing/normals but there is no way when exporting directly from Wings.

simonh(Posted 2003) [#3]

Well I've managed to export the model with a reasonable amount of success by applying different materials in Wings to parts of the model I don't want to be blended with each other in Blitz. Of course, the only problem with that is that you end up with multiple surfaces in Blitz3D which may slow things down a bit. I'll have to look into Ultimate Unwrap, cheers for the tip.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#4]
I find if you export as an OBJ file and import into Milkshape, then save it as a B3D from there it works fine.

simonh(Posted 2003) [#5]
Yes, that does seem to generally produce better results Dr. Av...thanks for the tip.

Although, the normal data generated by Wing's Auto-smooth feature will appear in Milkshape, but not in Blitz, where everything is smoothed out with a single-surface mesh. Probably a limitation of Blitz, necessitating the need for multiple materials in Wings to export to multiple surfaces in Blitz for non-blended areas (like in the third screenshot where the toilet rim and base of the toilet are two different surfaces).

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#6]
Good tip on the multiple materials thing. I already know of ways to do this without multiple materials but it is always good to have options.

Doing sharp edged smoothing in Ultimate Unwrap isn't an obvious procedure (ie. there is no "hard edge" button) but it is easy. If you need help with that shoot me an email.

Tom(Posted 2003) [#7]
Sorry if I'm wrong, but why do you need multiple surfaces?

Surely to keep sharp edges you could unweld at those edges, that way you have 2 verts where previously you had 1, and each can have its own normal.

Did I get that right?

Tom

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#8]
That is how you would do hard edges from Ultimate Unwrap or something but Wings doesn't support unwelded vertices (it's because of the winged edge data structure used.)

Rob(Posted 2003) [#9]
You do not need multiple surfaces for a hard crease; you only need to split the vertices. This is because smoothing (normals) data will always smooth two verts. My Max exporter (the unreleased one) does this for you automatically.

Perhaps I'll just release it? heh.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#10]
Oy. Nobody is saying that multiple surfaces are required for hard edges in general, only that multiple materials are the only way to export hard edges directly from Wings3D. Is anybody even reading other people's (eg. my) posts? In my last message I said:

"Wings doesn't support unwelded vertices"