Protean IDE

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Protean IDE

simonh(Posted 2003) [#1]
WOW - great job Rob!! I can see why it took so long to develop now - it's so feature packed it's almost bewildering.

I think this will definitely be my IDE of choice from now on, it's just soooooo nice to use.

(If anyone is wondering what I'm referring to, see the news page.)

Rob Hutchinson(Posted 2003) [#2]
Thank you! :)
Not a lot else to say, other than if you have any feature requests, dump them on the forums and I'll do my best to implement them.

Cya dude.

LineOf7s(Posted 2003) [#3]
The features list makes me drool - the system requirements make me weep.

Still, if I had a computer that'd be built or upgraded anytime in the last two years I wouldn't have batted an eyelid (assuming the .NET framework comes with XP as I believe - if not then HOLY COW!), and this very much looks like it could be the be-all-and-end-all of Blitz IDEs. :o)

The very best of luck to you - you certainly seem to have done the hard yards.

Rob Hutchinson(Posted 2003) [#4]
The second release of XP comes with the framework (the one with SP1 integrated), so I'm told, but it isn't installed, you have to browse the CD, and it isnt the version required for Protean. LOL. So yeah, 24Mb download. Which to someone on a modem is quite scary, to someone on broadband its a snap.

granada(Posted 2003) [#5]
just got mine,great job

dave

MRaven(Posted 2003) [#6]
Just installed the demo and I must say... very, very nice, Rob. This is by far the best developement enviroment for Blitz I saw. I have to play a bit more with the demo, but I guess, I'll buy it. :)

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#7]
I need a new rig to use this editor =] no bloody way! =]

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#8]
Hey man great job, ive seen ur work progressin it's freaking cool....I just might purchase it...

MRaven(Posted 2003) [#9]
I purchased it this noon and now I worked some hours with it and must say... bloody brilliant. Great job, Rob.

Uncle(Posted 2003) [#10]
I've gotta say from the protean feature list this IDE looks pretty impressive. Its just a shame that it doesn't support win9x/ME etc as a lot of people won't be able to benefit from it. I notice the web site said that it would support win9x at some point. Any idea when?

Cheers,

Unc

Rob Hutchinson(Posted 2003) [#11]
A week or two probably, I am waiting on a GDI fix in a third party component I use, which is unstable in win98. Dont worry, when the fix is available, I`ll release a new demo and release version straight away.

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2003) [#12]
I have been using this for a couple of days now (I own the full version) and it is incredible. Excellent work

Mystik(Posted 2003) [#13]
another happy customer here, great work Rob.

Steve

MarkT(Posted 2003) [#14]
I have purchased it as well, it brilliant :D.

ChrisM(Posted 2003) [#15]
I've bought it too and it's superb!

It takes a bit of getting used to after the blitz editor but now I think it's better than the visual studio editor I've got with MSCV6!

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2003) [#16]
Me too.

Great work!

;)

Garion(Posted 2003) [#17]
Me too, too, too, too, TooT! (That wuz Robs Trumpet) 8)

Garion
from Scotland

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#18]
How does it work with Blitz upgrades?

Rob Hutchinson(Posted 2003) [#19]
How do you mean?

If you are talking about what do you have to do to upgrade your copy of Blitz in there.

Just do what you normally do to upgrade blitz then load Protean and hit the menu item:

Tools > Blitz Basic > Refresh Keyword Definitions

And Protean will ask all the compilers for a list of keywords new and old.
That's about it. I am planning on keeping a check on BlitzCC.exe to see when it changes, and doing this automatically for you. The option to do it manually will stay there though.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#20]
Congratulations on getting this out there!

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#21]
What does the ProteanIDE do? I like coding in the environment which comes with Blitz but then I know little about programming.

EDIT: Never mind my dumbass question. I didn't see the news post on the main page.

RiK(Posted 2003) [#22]
Fantastic Job Rob!

I got the full version last night and all day today I've been grinning like a loony whilst coding.

Still finding my way around, this is like a new lease of life to my Blitz coding, thanks!

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#23]
Nice one Rob.
You say you are going to support 98/ME - I didn't realise .Net worked on anything non NT? If it does then great, I'm on XP myself but just curious (nosey!) :)

Rob Hutchinson(Posted 2003) [#24]
It does yes, .NET itself works on.. err.. <checks site>

Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP.

Visual Studio.NET requires NT, and so does Protean ATM. But I am working on rectifying that.

RiK(Posted 2003) [#25]
Another happy day of coding for me today...... and another big THANKYOU! to Rob, this is bloody fantastic!

Warren(Posted 2003) [#26]
Just bought a copy for myself last night. Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! I was using my own hackneyed IDE for a long time now, but no more.

Protean IDE is simply amazing ...