NST type program?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/NST type program?

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi all,

Are there any other programs like Quake 2`s NST that allow you to paint a meshes skin in realtime onto the actual model?

Jason.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
I am aware of several 3D paint tools of WIDELY varying quality and price. Very good quality but costly tools for 3D paint include DeepPaint and BodyPaint. Maya has basic 3D paint functionality built in via its Artisan toolset. The only free 3D paint tool I know of is Chameleon (and it is barely a programmer's experiment in 3D paint:)
http://www-ui.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~takeo/chameleon/chameleon.htm

The next best thing to real 3D paint tools are tools like Ultimate Unwrap which update the texture on the model automatically as you work on the texture image. Ultimate Unwrap allows you to setup a floating window with a textured view of your model, set that window to Always On Top so that it is visible while working in a paint app like Photoshop, and then the texture is automatically updated whenever you save the image. Thus you can see the texture applied to your model while you work on the image.

Other tools of that latter ilk include Tru-V and Amazon Paint.

I've never heard of NST before; from searching on Google I am guessing you mean NPherno's Skin Tool.

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#3]
Yep, it is NPherno's Skin Tool thanks for the advice. I normally do use Ultimate Unwrap as you suggest but am just seeing what else is available. BTW is it still possible to have a seperate window always on top of your paint package as I can no longer get it working in the new version (2.02) Maybe I`m missing something?

Jason.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#4]
There is no longer a separate window by default but it is easy to create floating windows. Just right-click on the view title (eg. the word "Perspective") and select New Window.

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#5]

Jason.

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#6]
I tried that trick in Ultimate Unwrap but still cannot get the window to stay on top of my paint package can this no longer be done?

Jason.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#7]
It can certainly still be done. Don't forget to set the new window to Always on Top (again, right click on the view title.)

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#8]
Cheers Joe. It`s working now.

Jason.

Garion(Posted 2003) [#9]
Fractal Painter 3D came with Poser 4 and is on the second CD (if memory serves)

I downloaded the latest update for it and it works fine 8)

Garion
from Scotland

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#10]
I forgot to mention Meshpaint 3D. Never used it but I know Bungie used to use it (back in the "Myth" days.)