Easiest way to B3D

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Easiest way to B3D

Anarcade(Posted 2003) [#1]
I am sitting at the starting blocks and need some advice/help on what to use. I am basically looking for the easiest and quickest way to model/bone/animate/skin/everything else and get it into B3D format.

I have seen some forums talk about starting with one thing and then going through 9 exports to get to the final b3d file. I would rather not do that.

Let us assume that money is no object (yeah right) and go from there.

I have looked at 3dStudio with Character Studio as a great modeller and animator and it looks good but I am not sure if it will export to B3D format. If I do everything in 3DS/CS and it doesnt export to B3D is there an easy way (one step) to load the 3ds into something to get the b3d.

I think you get my point.

Anarcade(Posted 2003) [#2]
Did a little more research.

Does this sound like the easiest way?

Do everything in 3DS/CS then inport the 3DS into character FX. Or should I do the animations in FX.

Whatcha figure all. I've got access to 3DStudioMax, Character Studio and I will pay the $20 for Charatcer FX.

So in summary:

Which way is best.

Option 1:

Models/Textures/Skins/etc - 3DStudioMax
Animations - CS
Import .3DS to CharacterFX
Export to B3D

or Option 2:

Models/Textures/Skins/etc - 3DS
Import .3DS to FX
Animations - FX
Export to B3D
and ignore Character Studio all together.

On another note is B3D the way to go. I notice that Blitz3D can use four types of model files. Any significant differences for the four main types (X,3DS,B3D,MD2) and what is best for what I want to do (model/bone/animate/skin/everything else)

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#3]
You can't export boned animations to a 3DS file.

I would replace option 1 with:
Animations - CS
Export to SMD
Import SMD to Milkshape
Export to B3D

and add:

Option 3:
Animations - CS
Export to DX9 X (re-compile X exporter)
Import X to Unwrap3D
Export to B3D

3DS and X only support heirarchical animations. MD2 supports vertex morphing animation only. B3D supports boned animation but no vertex morphing animation (yet).

Did I miss anything?

Rob(Posted 2003) [#4]
The easiest way to B3D is do it all in milkshape.

Dock(Posted 2003) [#5]
Where could I get the recompiled X Exporter for Max? Option 3 seems ideal for my current projects.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#6]
I would tend toward Option 2. For game animation I much prefer CharacterFX to 3D Studio Max. The Keyframe Editor is a neat and fast way to manipulate keyframes whereas working with keyframes in 3D Studio Max is buried under piles of menus or only one bone at a time.

Referring to your original post however using Milkshape involves the least exporting/converting of the model. Everything (modeling, texturing, animation) can be done within Milkshape and then exported directly to b3d file format. Milkshape just isn't ideal for any task; jack of all trades, master of none.

Anarcade(Posted 2003) [#7]
Animations - CS
Export to SMD
Import SMD to Milkshape
Export to B3D

This option actually seems pretty good. I do everything in 3DS/CS then export to SMD, then import and export to B3D.

Alternatively,

Models/Textures/Skins/etc - 3DS
Import .3DS to FX
Animations - FX
Export to B3D

Will both of the above give fairly good results (do not worry about ease of use)?

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#8]
Yes

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#9]
How do you export from Max to the SMD format - is there a plugin available ?

HNPhan(Posted 2003) [#10]
I created a tutorial for it, hope it helps:
http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum14&topic=000776

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#11]
Many Thanx - Good tutorial !