Two questions about Anim8or, Blender, 3D Canvas (free version)

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Two questions about Anim8or, Blender, 3D Canvas (free version)

davidboy(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi....I notice that these three softwares are free. Now I want to start learning one of them. I have two questions about them:

1. Which one is the easier software for beginner?

2. Which one is the most powerful?

Thanks...!

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#2]
1. Which one is the easier software for beginner?

I really believe this is a personal preference. I find my choice of 3d package ( which will remain nameless ) to be very easy to use, while others complain that it's incredibly difficult to get to grips with.

Having said that, I think it's universally accepted that Blender is not easy to get to grips with.

I would try them all, if I were you. I'd probably try 3d Canvas first, and Blender third, but I really would try them all.

As for power, there's really not a lot in it. Blender has a lot of power that you won't ever use for realtime work. Heck I have a very(!) expensive 3d package and I still find myself doing the kind of vertex manipulation I could be doing in any old 3d package. It's really about how comfortable you are with the interface.

Ice9(Posted 2003) [#3]
Sybixus is right it's not that hard but if you are looking at those pacakges I would choose 3d canvas over blender. blender without proper books or tutorials is kind of difficult.

SSS(Posted 2003) [#4]
ive tried all three, in my oppinion Anim8or is by far the easiest, Blender's ui is very difficult and 3d Canvas... i just dont like the way it works, it also keeps crashing on me and messed up my computer.

proberably Blender is the most powerfull but i could never get the efficiency with blender to do much with it :)
i would go with anim8or if i were you, i did

Psycoach(Posted 2003) [#5]
I have never modelled before, and among several free tools that I have downloaded, I found that Amapi, who claims to be the most "intuitive" tool to modell, is very easy to use for a total beginner like me.

The vision is no 3 axis-windows-vision, but one window only, the object to modell is on a table, and one can turn around the table during the modelling.
I found it very near the natural clay modelling process.

Perhaps I will use something else later, but right now, as a beginner, I found Amapi to be the most intuitive to learn modelling.

(The version 5 is free now)

SSS(Posted 2003) [#6]
where can i get version 5, i can only find 7

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#7]
I'm not sure what country you're in, SSS. Psycoach managed to find it on a 3d Special Magazine ( see his thread about Amapi directly below this thread for that. )

In the UK, I've seen a few magazines with it on the cover. There's probably one on the shelf now. If not, I'm sure you can chase up a back issue.

AFAIK it's not downloadable.

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#8]
Does Anim8or has exporting capabilities? How? To which formats?

[EDIT:]I have found it by myself: Object->Export. You can export to 3DS format.

Psycoach(Posted 2003) [#9]
@SSS : Did you find it in a magazine ?
Did you get my e-mail ?

davidboy(Posted 2003) [#10]
Hi....all,

Thank you very much...!!!