Font to Bitmap Convertor for free!!!

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Font to Bitmap Convertor for free!!!

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2003) [#1]
Been using this one for a while, not as nice as FonText but it does the job. I like the fact that you can have two character sets in the same bitmap..

http://www.lmnopc.com/bitmapfontbuilder/

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#2]
Yeah, its not too bad. FONText has a similar range of features, but also has these:

Specific character range selection.
Outline styles (some of which out-do Photoshop).
Gradients (including user-image gradients).
Trimming for 2d and 3d.
Fine tuning.

FONText also comes with plug and play Blitz HUD code with the following features:

Simple emulation of all Blitz text commands: Text, Print and Write.
Emulation of drawing primitives: Line, Rect etc plus curves.
Snazzy CurveText() function for animated or static bendy text.
Allows multiple textures per font. Much more important than packing 2 fonts into one texture on modern hardware.

Also:

FONText is still developing and evolving all the time, unlike the LMNO one which stopped evolving long ago.
FONText was made in BlitzPlus. :)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2003) [#3]
I agree that your software is much better and I will be purchasing a copy soon (Promise). This may be of use to people just starting out who want cheap/quick bitmap fonts before they shell out some cash.

Blue Steel(Posted 2003) [#4]
FONText F'N Rocks! I am redoing a lot of stuff so I can use it for text stuff.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#5]
Look in the code archives. I put up a free bitmap font generator which is way better tham that lmnoPC one. You can't even set the characters in the font in the lmnopc one, and I forget, but I'm pretty sure you can't span across textures either.

Mine doesn't have a graphical user interface, but it doesn't need one. You just change a few constants and run it.

Fontext is good if you want to make cool looking fonts without a lot of hassle. Mine is just for making plain fonts you edit in photoshop later.

You can't span textures in fontext yet though, so if you need 256x256 textures you'll have to cut the resulting texture into sections manually.

But fontext does let non-artists make nice fonts, and comes with it's own gui system for displaying said fonts.