Are there hidden problems in using AMAPI with B3D ?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Are there hidden problems in using AMAPI with B3D ?

Psycoach(Posted 2003) [#1]
I am in the process of finding the modeller I will learn to use for my B3D productions ;-)

So far, among the modelling tools I have had a look at and *very quickly* given a try, AMAPI is for me the easier to use (and the version 4 I have is free).

Before I invest myself fully in learning this tool, is there anything I should know ? (Like "no usable exports to B3D", "troubles with animating the entities produced with it..." for instance) ?

Thanks for any hint from anybody having experienced this tool ! :-)

Blue Steel(Posted 2003) [#2]
I have used it to make animated MD2 before. I love it, its my second fave (ac3d is my fave). I don't know squat about the B3D format and would never use B3D myself, am sure someone will pipe up with how to get them into B3D

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#3]
Version 5.15 is now free too. I wouldn't have thought Amapi was an obvious choice for poly modelling. It's really much better with patches. Or it was when I last used it.

But I always say whatever package you're most comfortable with is the best package, so that answers that. No idea how you'd go about getting it into b3d format though.

starfox(Posted 2003) [#4]
The Bone Collector...

Psycoach(Posted 2003) [#5]
@Brice : Thanks for your confirmation that it is usable on the long run !

@Sybixus : Thanks for the information : where can I DL the free version 5.15 please ??

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#6]
I'm not sure if 5.15 is downloadable. It's been on a lot of UK magazine covers lately. I'll have a dig around and pop back with any info I can find.

Psycoach(Posted 2003) [#7]
Thanks !!

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#8]
You're in france, right?

Because I found this :

AMAPI 5.1 free (or almost)
mardi 25 février 2003 :

In the january edition of Studio Multimedia (still available), you will find a full version of AMAPI 5.1, the famous modeler from TGS. Amapi is often known for, in addition of its power due to its multiple tools, an intuitive approach of 3D modeling. The CD contains also a documentation in french and many training exercices. A perfect occasion for approaching a wide number of technics of modeling. Main formats of export : 3DS, DXF, LightWave, Nemo, TrusSpace and VRML 1.0. for PC and MAC.

Clearly it won't still be on the shelf. But you could order a back issue, I expect.

Psycoach(Posted 2003) [#9]
Thanks a thousand times Sybixsus!
I went out and got the "Special 3D" copy from Studio Multimedia, with Amapi 5.1 on it... :-))