MD2 > B3D?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/MD2 > B3D?

CopperCircle(Posted 2003) [#1]
Has anyone been able to convert an MD2 to a B3D with animations intact?

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#2]
It's not possible. Although I think Drago was gonna attempt to get it as close as possible. Don't know if it worked tho.

The problem is that MD2s don't have any bones to convert.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#3]
To elaborate on that point, the way animations are stored in MD2 and B3D is fundamentally different. MD2 files store animation as a series of vertex positions (morph targets essentially) for the model whereas B3D stores animation as keyframes on heirarchy linked mesh parts and/or bones. There is no way to convert from the former to the latter (although it is fairly simple to convert from the latter to the former.)

podperson(Posted 2003) [#4]
A B3D file is to an MD2 file what an outline typeface is to a bitmapped typeface -- in essence, an MD2 is a "fixed resolution rendering" of an animation (where the resolution being fixed is TIME). MD2s also store positional data in a fairly crude way (12-bit values I think).

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#5]
That's a pretty good analogy. I'll have to remember that one. Because most people don't know the nuts and bolts of truetype vs. bitmap fonts the exact same analogy can be made regarding vector vs. raster/pixel images.