4. load b3d into BLITZ3D n develop a game

the cost is:
GMAX = freeware
LITHUNWRAP = freeware
MILKSHAPE = approx. $20
CHARACTER FX = approx. $20
BLITZ3D = approx. $140

total = below $200

it worth... that modeler the most saviour, if u wanna get 3DMax, its above $1000 for a package...

ragtag(Posted 2003) [#2]
You should also consider using Wings3d instead of GMAX.
And how about using just Quill3d and CharacterFX, will that work. I'm assuming Quill doesn't support animation, but will let you model and texture a character.

Ragnar

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#3]
Do NOT use Gmax for game development unless you're giving the games away or plan on being sued. The license is very clear.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#4]
That is a similar workflow to mine but with some crucial differences, including the use of gmax (which is illegal for Blitz projects.) Look in the "art workflow" thread at the beginning of this forum for the tools and workflow I use (which is only slightly more expensive, a bit more functional, and completely legal.) The primary differences are that I use Wings3D to model and Ultimate Unwrap (the big brother of LithUnwrap, with robust b3d import/export) to texture.

Also, note that there is more to creating a 3D game than just this stuff. First off, graphically you will want a 2D art tool (like Photoshop or GIMP) and some special purpose tools like Terragen for creating terrain and skyboxes and Lightbulb for lightmapping. Second, there is sound to contend with. Some free sound editing tools include Encounter2000 and Audacity.

Finally, note that I would disagree with the file formats used to get from tool to tool. Going from Milkshape to CharacterFX is best done with the Milkshape ASCII format (which Milkshape exports and CharacterFX can import.) It is more stable (3ds files from some sources make CharacterFX really flaky) and more features are supported (including bones and vertex attachments, which I find easier to do in Milkshape.)

Akat(Posted 2003) [#5]
to hard to animate in MilkShape... looking forward to c B3D supportr for stable MD3... i know enhancement pack did, but it really really bad performance on my PC...

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#6]
Just to clarify, nobody here (certainly not me) suggested animating in Milkshape. The animation tools in Milkshape are REALLY primitive (you can't even playback a selected range of frames, a very necessary feature for games animation where individual animation cycles are strung together on the timeline) whereas the tools in CharacterFX are outstanding. I do the rigging in Milkshape (creating bones, attaching vertices) but do the actual animation in CharacterFX.

Akat(Posted 2003) [#7]
yup thats right... but i do boning n animating all in CFX... found it easier..

Battle Tanks(Posted 2003) [#8]
Some more cool tools

for textures
www.texturemaker.com
$80?

for trees, flowers
www.treemaker.nl
$10

-James Trigg

starfox(Posted 2003) [#9]
Don't forget the Bone Collector!

Der Vampyr Engel(Posted 2003) [#10]
I tend to use Doga Lseries for my modelling, that and Poser3&4

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#11]
like is LITHUNWRAP free when i was on it's homepage it hade a number of $marks back of some figuers

andy_mc(Posted 2003) [#12]
what about sound and music tools? You're making some very quiet games here guys.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#13]
I mentioned Encounter2000 and Audacity. Those are good free tools for editing wav files. For composing music I use Anvil Studio (also free; basic MIDI editor,) Skale Tracker (free, good MOD editor,) and FruityLoops ($50, good all around sequencer.)

Moses(Posted 2003) [#14]
I like the animation in the beta test for 1.4 of characterFX. Milkshape you can animate in, but there are some bugs in it, weird frames appearing from no where and stuff. I can make some alright animation in milkshape if i do it frame by frame. I personally own milkspace and characterfx, been thinking about getting Uunwrap, but haven't forked over for it yet. For music I have modplug(mod editor), sound forge, acid pro and cooledit. I have a copy of LithUnwrap around here, but i haven't dorked around with is as of yet, probably better to get Ultimite Unwrap i think.

Akat(Posted 2003) [#15]
in order to produce animation character within Max (Character Studio), export to SMD n import in Milkshape n export it back to B3D... can cut quarter the time i think...

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#16]
Use Ultimate Unwrap for that purpose. It has an exporter for 3D Studio Max and can save to b3d.