Ohmikron Modeler

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Ohmikron Modeler

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#1]
Has anybody ever used it? Do you know where I can get a trial version? It costs $10 at their website but I don't want to pop for it unless I know I want it.(Not that I'm cheap or anything...) Thanks.

Doggie

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#2]
I've got a copy and have tried it a few times. I thought it might be useful for creating some "quick and dirty" models for a project I'm working on. It works well enough though I think using a modeler like wings3d, a good painting program and Ultimate Unwrap certainly give better results...

BTW, wings3d is an EXCELLENT modeler, (along the lines of Nendo) and has an active development community. And it's free.. The developers are adding UV mapping and more as time goes on. I would certainly suggest trying it. The URL is www.wings3d.com.

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#3]
So basically it will run under WinXP. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I got Wings3D. I got a lot of various modeller programs but none of them is the end-all. Thanks

Doggie

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#4]
Yeah, I'm searching for the "holy grail" in modeling programs myself... not to to labor the point, but I'm thinking wing3d will have a good balance of features vs. complexity as it develops.
I checked out zbrush and 'bout had a seizure trying to get through THAT interface... ugh! I'd like to find a 3d paint program like Deep 3D, (which I can't afford right now), and just paint the textures on... there has to be a simpler way!

If I can get the time, I may look at using B3D and .obj files to build a simple 'texture painting' app... I need to research some more, but I'm thinking that if a person can 'paint' a mesh object to create terrain, why not other 'structured' mesh objects with user selectable images/brushes?

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#5]
Having used Deep Paint 3d, I can reassure you that not being able to afford is not as great a loss as you may think. It's very unstable and it doesn't magically solve the UV mapping problem as some may have suggested to you. It features a range of automatic UV map generation options, but they're inevitably not good enough on anything more complicated than a cube, and you end up having to do it all manually anyway.

True it's easier to see where you're painting things but if you have enough ram to have your paint program and UV tool open at the same time, you get the same result ( probably better. )

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#6]
One of the really cool things (and there are MANY) about Ultimate Unwrap is that it has features specifically designed for running along with a paint program. For example the "Always on Top" feature for the 3D Preview means that you can see the model while you are painting. I suggested the automatic file refresh which means that you can see changes update on the model every time you save the image. Read the tutorials on the Ultimate Unwrap website to learn how to use these features.

Valgar(Posted 2003) [#7]
The best modeler i have tried is Rhinoceros 2.0(it's time for the 3.0 release).
Is based on spline,nurbs,ecc ecc;also use some csg primitives.
The modeling tools are:rail,birail extrusion,extrusion along surface,extrusion along point(ecc ecc),spline patch,nurbs patch,spline cage,surface from curves,exploded surface,boolean function,blend surface, and a lot of more metod(too many to speak of all...).
But it isn't based on polygon and for low-poly games it's better if u use other modeler (Wings3d is ok but Rhino beats everything for it's "intuitive"use of it's tools).
Another good modeler it's the old Real3d on the Amiga.....unbeatable even now for some good modeling commands.
But that application are good for pre-rendered games not low-poly real time games.....

SSS(Posted 2003) [#8]
you should give anim8or a shot, its a free modler and its the first modler iv found that is easy to create models with, devote like 30 mins to doing a couple tutorials...

the biggest problem is that you have to manually scale down the models in the modler before importing them into ur game, not a biggy tho

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#9]
It's all subjective of course but I hate Rhinoceros. The whole NURBS/splines approach to modeling is not my cup of tea. Meanwhile I've been doing subdivision surfaces modeling since before the term even existed.