Anyone using Gamemaker Studio here?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Anyone using Gamemaker Studio here?

Xaron(Posted April) [#1]
Hey all, is anyone has experience with Gamemaker Studio? Especially seen come from a programmer's perspective?

I'm starting to look for alternatives to Monkey for cross platform development. And no, Unity is NOT an alternative when it comes to 2d.

Cheers!

GW(Posted April) [#2]
there are a ton of options, depends how much editor integration you want.
Godot is free. Xenko does mobile, and of course there is blitzmaxNG.

Rick Nasher(Posted April) [#3]
I personally like B4X.
It's basically(interesting expression here.. :-) Visual Basic for Android, IOS, etc.

See: https://www.b4x.com/

B4X suite supports more platforms than any other tool

ANDROID | IOS | WINDOWS | MAC | LINUX | ARDUINO | RASPBERRY PI | ESP8266 | AND MORE...

Uncle(Posted April) [#4]
I switched to GM1.4 about a year ago after using blitz products for the previous 10 years. I got disillusioned with Monkey changing to monkey 2. It took a while getting used to GM but it has been worth it. Now I focus much more on the fun stuff rather than coding engines to make fun stuff. GM is very quick for getting ideas working. I've been able to prototype much more. Cross platform stuff works well. I was able to even export to Xbox one last week with very minimal setup.

GM2 is out now and I'm making the switch with my next game, but from what I have seen it looks easy enough.

It is a different way of working though in GM so you might want to try the demo and follow some tutorials to see if it works for you.

Xaron(Posted April) [#5]
Thanks! Never thought about BlitzmaxNG, does it have mobile support as well?

@Rick: Yes I own that as well. It's pretty powerful but I prefer something which has Desktop plus HTML5, Android and iOS.

@Uncle: I feel the same way, I'm going to look deeper into GMS. I always had the impression it's more a toy but looks like I'm totally wrong. :)

AdamStrange(Posted April) [#6]
Now I focus much more on the fun stuff rather than coding engines to make fun stuff.

You nailed that in one. To be productive in monkey2 you need tools. I had to spend time writing to get basic functionality, but now can focus on coding fun stuff too

GW(Posted April) [#7]
BmaxNG can do Android, Not sure about ios.
I made a flappy bird clone that runs on my Galaxy-6 and 7.
My opinion is that if you need performance, use NG. But otherwise Monkey1 has better support for input and has simpler build-steps for mobile.

Xaron(Posted April) [#8]
Thanks guys!

@GW: Monkey 1 is dead. Definitely. I just wait for a major change in either the Google or Apple SDK which will break its neck. I have strong doubts that there would be any fixes beyond minor stuff.