Quill3d- question for skidracer

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Quill3d- question for skidracer

gpete(Posted 2017) [#1]
I have a working copy of Quill3D, which is working on Win 10, with the 1.52 update which removed the need to place the physical CD in your computer drive. I have it installed in my Documents folder, and I have a zipped folder of the entire contents. I still have my original Idigicon CD with license, and the update executable which was sent to me by Idigicon many years ago.
Just tonight I used the map module and was able to lightmap a quillscene and save as a B3D model, which works perfectly.
Skidracer, I know that Birdie developed the program.
If you have any contact with him, would it be possible to release Quill3d to the Blitz3D community? And by that I mean as posting it on the Blitz website? Or possibly selling it through BRL?
I don't know the legal situation obviously...
thank you,
gpete

skidracer(Posted 2017) [#2]
Well he did stop by a couple of years ago and there is a gmail address attached to his account so I shall email him and point him to this thread.

gpete(Posted 2017) [#3]
thanks, I just think it is an amazing programming effort- considering the times- also I think it is absolutely worth saving for the future.

Birdie(Posted 2017) [#4]
Hi,

Its nice to see someone still using Quill3D, I had no idea it would still work with Windows 10. As for releasing Quill3D to the community, you would have to contact Idigicon for permission as I sold ALL rights to Quill3D many years ago. I wouldn't have any problem but its not up to me as I haven't had any dealings with them since then. Anyway its still great to see it being used.

Cheers
Dave Bird

popcade(Posted 2017) [#5]
Hi, Birdie

I have also Quill3D, but my manual is getting very old and rotten, it's really crazy to see the good old days that softwares came with physical manuals, and no digital one.

gpete(Posted 2017) [#6]
thanks to skidracer and Birdie! I have sent a message to Idigicon using their contact messaging on their website.. I referenced this Forum . Well we will see what the answer is...I will convey any message they send to me.

skidracer(Posted 2017) [#7]
We were talking about this on the Acid Software facebook page.

As Idigicon went bankrupt it is probably time myself, Mark, Anthony Flack and possibly Birdie moved to revert licensing back to our own control. I have been meaning to ask the BRL lawyer for advise on such matters.

Derron(Posted 2017) [#8]
I assume his answer will be in the likes of:
- licence might now be hold by someone else (one of the creditors)
- the licence might not have been "sold" to one of them (is the state then holding it?)

In all cases you need to find out who is now owning the licence. It is the same problem many "abandonware" has: nobody seems to own the right anymore. Who to ask for a remake/sequel ?

It is way easier to reuse an existing name of a game (if no longer trademarked and so on).

Keep us informed what the lawyer is advising.

bye
Ron

Mystik(Posted 2017) [#9]
All of the I.P. rights that were owned by Idigicon are now owned by GMJ Licensing Ltd.

I'll check to see if there are any future plans for Quill.

Steve.

gpete(Posted 2017) [#10]
a few simple objects from Quill 3D...

skidracer(Posted May) [#11]
Steve, I have been meaning to get in touch.

After chatting with Giles on facebook my list of licensing requests seems to grow and I delay sending you an email, hopefully in next couple of months.

Dave Bird has also replied so I think things are looking good to have an official download made available as per Glen's request.

I am most interested from the legacy point of view of preserving Blitz3D and the myriad of cool products it spawned in functional state.