GLbasic - Has anyone tried this?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/GLbasic - Has anyone tried this?

Imperium(Posted 2017) [#1]
http://www.glbasic.com/

It appears to be a clone of Blitz3d but cross platform. Even the original Xbox?
www.glbasic.com/main.php?lang=en&mobile=&site=features

Has anyone tried this out? Pros and cons?

LineOf7s(Posted 2017) [#2]
I can't speak to much of it - I've not played with it too much - but it's in no way a 'clone' of Blitz3D.

Imperium(Posted 2017) [#3]
I shouldn't have said clone. I meant that it appears very similar in regard to features.

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#4]
No the syntax of GLBasic is not has easy/concise as the syntax of blitzbasic imo

Qube(Posted 2017) [#5]
I used to love GLBasic and published four games on iPhone / iPad with it. Unfortunately the iOS side these days has issues and as far as I'm aware is also broken with app switching which means that Apple are likely to refuse your app.

It's a fast capable language but for me it could do with some serious love to whip it back into it's former glory.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#6]

No the syntax of GLBasic is not has easy/concise as the syntax of blitzbasic imo

I agree.

PLUS EVERY COMMAND IS IN UPPER CASE, making it look dated :)

Ian Thompson(Posted 2017) [#7]
@Qube: There's no problem with iOS app switching, that was a problem a long time ago but it's been updated to use a 64bit compiler chain and it works fine now.

I personally rank it near the top of all the Basic game coding languages. Its syntax is easy to pickup and it can be easily expanded by the use of inline C++ (I had OpenB3D up and running in a couple of days within it.).

Some coders find its syntax too simple, no OO outside of methods within types. But again, it is such a solid reliable little language and the developer has been constantly maintaining it and it's platforms for 10+ years with no signs of him dropping it.

Qube(Posted 2017) [#8]
@Qube: There's no problem with iOS app switching, that was a problem a long time ago but it's been updated to use a 64bit compiler chain and it works fine now.

Is that fixed now as less than a month ago it was an issue? http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=10835.msg96181#msg96181

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#9]

Is that fixed now as less than a month ago it was an issue? http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=10835.msg96181#msg96181

On page 3 of that link it says

simulator does not work. you need compile it for real device.

Qube(Posted 2017) [#10]
That's not to do with the app switching issue as the poster was trying to compile for simulator.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2017) [#11]
App switching was a bug years ago, weird that it seems to have been reintroduced. Last time I compiled an iOS app it was not a problem for me though?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#12]

That's not to do with the app switching issue as the poster was trying to compile for simulator.

Well it was your link as an example of the iOS app switching issue!

Qube(Posted 2017) [#13]
Well it was your link as an example of the iOS app switching issue!

I linked to a specific post, not the general thread about GLBasic which has never worked with the iOS simulator.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#14]
So it seems GL BASIC has several problems.

steve_ancell(Posted 2017) [#15]
GLBasic states:
Free for non commercial projects on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX

So I guess they make money when you generate it through selling your games, would that be true?

Actually, forget I asked that, I just found the shop page; it's 80 Euros for a premium version. That's about 70 quid in GBP I think.

Panno(Posted 2017) [#16]
http://www.glbasic.com/main.php?lang=de&site=features

CodeGit(Posted 2017) [#17]
GLBASIC is a bit rough around the edges and lacks good documentation, but it is still a very capable development platform. My first game released on IOS (Crackshot) was written in GLBASIC. Back then it was the easiest and quickest way for windows programmers to get onto the Apple app store. We made a lot of money with the game, only because there was not a lot on the store at that time. Now it it impossible to make money on any of the mobile stores. (In my opinion)