Div Game Studio

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Div Game Studio

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#1]
Does anyone remember this?

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#2]
Talk about a blast from the past. I think you can still get this from Amazon.co.uk but it's not much good in this day and age unless you still have Windows 95/98 and DOS.
I use to own this, but I think a got rid of it a few years ago as it was just cluttering the place up.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#3]
lol definitely a blast from the past...another blast from the past:

iprice(Posted 2013) [#4]
I used to use DIV - excellent at the time. I created loads of games and remakes using it. When it died I moved to Blitz3D and then others, but there'll always be a soft, gooey spot in my heart for Div. Of course, it still exists unofficially in Fenix, Gemix and Bennu.

Good times. Good times.

Iowalien(Posted 2013) [#5]
DiV Games Studio!? you can't expect to get any good use of it these days. DiV2 had 3D support if I remember correctly....

Very hard to find it at the USA web stores. lol checked the mail every day and remember having to wait a month to unwrap the peckerhead! lol

therevills(Posted 2013) [#6]
I remember this fondly:

Made so many games back then using AMOS Pro...

popcade(Posted 2013) [#7]
I've tried Gemix Studio while ago, which comes with compatibility with Div Studio and is free for personal, here's the div examples DL:
http://www.gemixstudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=32

And the releases are here:
http://www.gemixstudio.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=64

And BennuGD is also a fork of Div/Fenix pretty mature.

Oddball(Posted 2013) [#8]
I liked DIV Game Studio. I made quite a few games in it. Here are a couple.

--DUEL--

Octanks

Qube(Posted 2013) [#9]

Yo! the day that came though the door is fondly remembered :D

JKP(Posted 2013) [#10]
I remember seeing Div Game Studio reviewed in PC Format or something many years ago. I really wanted to buy it but I couldn't find it in any high street shops and I didn't have a credit card to buy it by mail order.

Makis(Posted 2013) [#11]
Excellent tool. I still have it, complete with packaging and manual!

angel martinez(Posted 2013) [#12]
Yes I also liked DIV. I began trying to make games with it. :)

dynaman(Posted 2013) [#13]
I had AMOS and AMOS pro, good memories. The AMOS 3D package wasn't worth anything but still...

TeaBoy(Posted 2013) [#14]
DIV game studio was excellent and works great with DOSBox

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#15]
Yes, I did have lots and lots of fun with Div2. And when I think about it now, it had some very very nice ideas in an actors-like OO design that could be a very good way to design a modern actor's based game oriented programming language.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#16]
Yo! the day that came though the door is fondly remembered

Me too. It had arrived when i got home from work, and I had to walk to the doctors cos my foot hurt - turned out to be a strained tendon. 1.5 mile round trip and it seemed to take forever!

iprice(Posted 2013) [#17]
I also had AMOS PRO (started with EasyAMOS, then moved to AMOS and finally PRO+COMPILER). I created many demos and small games with it, some of which inspired larger games and demos later in other languages. Sadly I let my Amiga go and all my media went with it - I really regret that now as there was a LOT of stuff that I'll never replace.

Funnily enough, I had Blitz for the Amiga too, but couldn't get into it after using AMOS. How different was that Blitz to BlitzBasic/3D on pc?

Ian Thompson(Posted 2013) [#18]
STOS for me, lovely little basic with the ability easily add your own commands.

You can find the source for it here http://stos.atari.st/dload_stos.htm

Amazingly written in 100% 68000 assembly!

Htbaa(Posted 2013) [#19]
Oh yeah I've got both DIV 1 and 2. DIV 2 was a horribly buggy release though. By the time that was released in English I had already moved on from Windows 98. All in all it was a nice development environment. I believe even today its successors are being used quite a lot in Spain. The Spanish community always was rather big. Or at least that's the impression I always got.

Oddball: I actually remember those games. I don't think I played the second one, but the tank game I did. Cool stuff.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#20]
Oddball. Those games are great. Amazing what you can do with that old stuff isn't it!? :D

Oddball(Posted 2013) [#21]
Thanks guys. Just realised those games are well over ten years old now.

Richard Betson(Posted 2013) [#22]
@Steve Elliott

STOS! OMG, I remember that. The good old ST days :D

- Rich -

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#23]

@Steve Elliott

STOS! OMG, I remember that. The good old ST days :D

Hell yeah! :D Didn't think too much of the language - but the sprite and gaming side of it was really good. A nice package.

Exciting times back then, I remember being wowed by dungeon master and a near perfect version of the arcade star wars game for a start.

Richard Betson(Posted 2013) [#24]
^:D

I had FTL out to a Atari club (SDACE) meeting. They were so cool, remember 'OIDS'. I used to sell at Atari trade shows all across the US, Canada and even the UK and Germany.

Was a time of it all being new and fun. :D

- Rich -

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#25]
Oids was a cool game. Well yes, the jump from 8-bit to 16-bit graphics was a massive jump so very exciting times. Plus the ST had built-in in midi, so pop stars were using them too.

Richard Betson(Posted 2013) [#26]
^Oh yes.

I had Donny Osmond call me on the phone asking how to use his Atari and midi, he had a contract with Atari at the time. I used to do a lot for Atari back then.

- Rich -

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#27]
Cool he was being interviewed by Piers Morgan recently...seems a really nice guy...sad that Atari died - and the Atari name was sold off.

*(Posted 2013) [#28]
Ah i was a blitz basic 2.1 kinda guy made loads of games in that even a rudimentary lan setup between four amigas :)

TeaBoy(Posted 2016) [#29]
Anyone still interested?

http://div-arena.co.uk/

Matty(Posted 2016) [#30]
This was my first:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=adventure+construction+set&client=ms-android-telstra-au&source=lnms&prmd=vsin&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjMhOnvgfrQAhUEurwKHQoLBuAQ_AUICSgD&biw=360&bih=615

'Adventure Construction Set'

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#31]
@TeaBoy, wow, there is a good remake of Donkey Kong on there, I remember pumping 20p's into that game.

popcade(Posted 2016) [#32]
It's now open sourced (for a while actually), with all ports and modes.

https://github.com/DIVGAMES/DIV-Games-Studio

Sould be very helpful for old Div developers.
I really hope it supports Unicode, but it's not in the roadmap yet.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#33]
I've never used it, but look - games of a good quality everywhere. nice looking website and developers that are open to suggestions and changes.

Compare to blitz... nuff said