Spacescape

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Spacescape

MCP(Posted 2013) [#1]
Here's a great little tool I've found for creating procedural space nebulae that can be exported to textures for use in your games etc. Author is Alex Peterson.

Spacescape

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#2]
Looks interesting. I'll check it out later. It would be nice if I could drop onto a app that can generate planet textures.

Krischan(Posted 2013) [#3]
> It would be nice if I could drop onto a app that can generate planet textures.

Ummm... did you try Planet Creator

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#4]
Great find MCP!

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#5]
Something i have always wanted to know about nebulae, are they visible like that to the naked eye? I was under the impression that the ones you see from hubble etc.. have had the IR and UV "rendered" as visible reds and blues to give it more poomph.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#6]
Something i have always wanted to know about nebulae, are they visible like that to the naked eye? I was under the impression that the ones you see from hubble etc.. have had the IR and UV "rendered" as visible reds and blues to give it more poomph.

Depends on the picture. Some of the more imp[ressive photos are made using 'false color', where they take xray / infrared / ultraviolet / /gamma rays / whatever and assign a fake color to them to 'see' the detail.

Others are real color, but with extremely long exposure times.

For example, someone I know took this picture from a telescope in his backyard: IC1396/VDB142

But it used a computer-controlled tracking device to keep the telescope aimed at the same coordinates negating the rotation of the earth, and consists of a ton of very long exposure photographs stacked together (amplified) in photoshop. This particular photo had a whopping total of 9 hours of exposure on a DSLR camera.

So while they are the true visible light colors, with the naked eye that patch of sky would look just black.

_PJ_(Posted 2013) [#7]
Also, the light received has been typically red-shifted, so what may one have been invisible UV may be visible.

Generalyl, though Stars emit light across a wide spectrum (minus a few discrete absorptions) based on the temperature, based on stelalr class, age, mass & radius (Based on initial mass & age)

This light is then curved by gravitational effects which can impact its velocity leading to distortions in perceived colour, and may be absorbed, diffracted (scattered), or absorbed then re-emitted as a product of heating causing a glow by gas and dust in interstellar medium.
The results of these effects depend on the nature and composition of the material, for example, the most common of such regions found in the Milky Way are HAlpha regions, which are prominently reddish when viewed from Earth.