Data Backup

Community Forums/Common Room/Data Backup

Steve Elliott(Posted June) [#1]
Backing up my data - photographs at the moment...One of those tasks we sometimes put off, but it's very important...Just a friendly reminder :)

GfK(Posted June) [#2]
I keep my stuff on a NAS (2 x 4TB RAID1) which does an automated weekly cloud backup for the really important life-or-death stuff. The first backup took 17 hours but the weekly ones are scheduled for 2am or something and complete in 10 mins or so.

RemiD(Posted June) [#3]
I backup my datas on 4 different disks (hard disk, usb, sd) regularly and on dvd rom occasionally... No worry on my side ;)

(just make sure that, after the copy, the size in (octets/bytes) of the files is the same on all disks, else you think you have made backup but they may not be reliable/corrupted)

GfK(Posted June) [#4]
I always remember Antony Flack losing literally everything in a house fire. Hence the cloud backup.

Steve Elliott(Posted June) [#5]
The most precious files I ever lost were photographs of my late Father...I haven't lost a file since.

Yes, cloud backup/in another location are very important too.

col(Posted June) [#6]
For the UK be aware when using the cloud that there are few territorial laws that be coming into strong effect within the next few years... especially so for business. I imagine other territories will do something similar in due course.

xlsior(Posted June) [#7]
I backup my datas on 4 different disks (hard disk, usb, sd) regularly and on dvd rom occasionally... No worry on my side ;)

Unless you also store things off-site, you're still one fire away from losing everything. :-?

RemiD(Posted June) [#8]
one is in my car, one is in my room, one is in my pocket, one is in another place. (all hidden of course)
i do not trust the cloud because i don't know who can access the files...

xlsior(Posted June) [#9]
i do not trust the cloud because i don't know who can access the files...

"in the cloud" just means "on someone else's computer", with all the downsides of that.

GfK(Posted June) [#10]
"in the cloud" just means "on someone else's computer", with all the downsides of that.
Despite their importance to me, my files will actually be worthless to pretty much anybody else.

GW(Posted June) [#11]
In case It helps. I use a free program called SyncFolders to backup my important stuff (also use dropbox). It's also quite common to find the Acronis backup software on sale. Currently it's $10 from newegg.com with a rebate. Reviews are generally pretty good for it.

RemiD(Posted June) [#12]

Despite their importance to me, my files will actually be worthless to pretty much anybody else. 

same thing here, i backup my files (including installers and license keys) so that it is quicker to have a similar computer if my computer crashes/becomes broken/is stolen...

EdzUp MkII(Posted June) [#13]
Backup to cloud, DVD-R, USBKey, SDCard, put it on external server.

Backing up is VERY important I once lost a weeks work due to harddisk failure back when 40Mb was a lot and to be honest been backing up ever since.

If you cant afford to lose it back it up.